Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take a bottle of water. Soak a 3" patch; wring it out by hand so that it is not dripping; one time down the barrel; turn it over and down the barrel again; lastly, follow with one dry patch in case any water is left.

I do this with T7. Not necessary with Blackhorn.

Just plain water eh? I've heard water + windex, water + vineger, and water + windex & Vineger, Hoppes bore solvent plus various other cleaners.

I use a 50/50 mix of washer fluid and 91% isopropyl alcohol. Works really well. The recipe came from cayuga. I like it much better than anything that has a high concentration of water because it won't freeze in the cold.

Some just spit on the patch. There are many ways to swab it. You want to get the crud ring out but not remove all the fouling. The fouling makes better groups. You also dont want to leave moisture in it. Short strokes all the way down is suggested. Some use alchol to help it dry. This is what I heard from this site. Maybe this should all be in quotes.

Dave

noctrfire

For me regular windex is about as goods as it gets...

WinPatch.jpg

clening

sabotloader X2 for T7 and powder. BH209 I use hoppes but i really don't clean between shots w/ the BH. Maybe every 20-25 shots I'll run a quick swab down and then a dry patch.

younghunter_86 said:
I use a 50/50 mix of washer fluid and 91% isopropyl alcohol. Works really well. The recipe came from cayuga. I like it much better than anything that has a high concentration of water because it won't freeze in the cold.

+1 i use the same thing ...because....it dries the inside of the barrel in seconds ..

I use straight 91% alcohol. Usually both sides of one fairly wet patch. No need for a dry patch. By the time you turn the patch over it's already beginning to dry. By the time you're ready to dump powder everything is dry.

Windex. Comes in its own handy spray container. Mist the patch from several inches away so that it is damp but not saturated and follow up with a dry patch.

Back in the old days when I did shoot that filthy stuff, a simple spit patch was run down the bore after every shot. Worked fine and I didn't have to carry one more thing into the field.

That depends on what rifle I am shooting, what kind of ignition system I have, and what the weather is doing. For instance...

Winter, #11 caps, traditional rifle, = pure isopropyl alcohol
Summer, #11 caps, any kind of rifle = 50/50 mix isopropyl alcohol/car windshield washer fluid.

Inline rifle, 209 igntion = 50/50 mix, spit patch, any kind of cleaner, or Windex
inline rifle, #11 ignition = mix, or spit patch

Today I was shooting a Knight Wolverine with #11 ignition. I used a simple spit patch because I forgot my mix in the house and was too lazy to walk back in there to get it.

Fouling does not create better groups in my Omega. I clean between each shot with TC #13 bore cleaner. Once I use it all up I will convert to the Windex.

Back