Scope mounting question....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatchet10

Reaction score
I just received a set of Warne bases and Leupold QRW rings for my Knight KRB. I was just thinking if it is really necessary to invest in a lapping kit to lap the rings or can I mount the scope as is. Upon inspecting them, the rings do appear to fit the scope evenly. Just wondering how many of you lap your rings?.....

Lapping may not be essential as long as the scope is mounted "stress free".

mcrik

I personally lap all of my rings. I would recommend it as the cost for the tools is small.

why didn't you get the Leupold bases to match ur Leupold rings ..and no i never had to lap my Leupold rings .....i use a 1"dia. x 12" long solid steel pipe to line up my rings ..

Set your scope in the ring with the top of the rings off and look carefully to see if it sets fully flush on the rings at all points of contact if it does then go ahead and mount if it does not the correct the problem. Lee

Thanks for your input, but since they appear to sit evenly and with no visible gaps, I think I'll dispense with the lapping this time...

I had to lap once, but it was for my browning ti 325 wsm and it was hard as hell to find a ring set for that gun to start with.

I bought a wheeler lapping kit and lap every set of rings I install. It is amazing to see how out of round the rings really are. For me it just removes another possible variable in getting the gun to shoot. I also think it helps the scopes on really hard kickers as it removes most if not all side stresses that could be introduced into the scope by how it is held.

DC

Latest posts

Back