PTX Question...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldog

Reaction score
Picked up some 250 gr. PTX's at the gunshop (bought all they had).
I've seen where everyone likes the short Harvester sabot for the 250 gr. PTX bullets. I have the Crushed rib sabots...will these work as well?
I plan to shoot these in my Triumph, (if I can ever get to the range to do so) and my Encore...Heck, I'll just shoot them in all my muzzleloaders... :wink:
Bulldog...

They should shoot just fine. I shot them with the crushed rib sabots out of some of my rifles and they did real well.

The Crush Rib is to loose in my Triumph I have to use the Short Black Harvester for best accuracy. Some are tighter than others you just have to try them and see which shoots best.

The only PTX bullet i have ever used on a game animal was the 300 grain.
Drew a permit to go elk hunting. i planned on using the 300 grain .430 XTP bullet. At the last minute i went with the 300 grain PTX: Wrong answer. The powder charge was 150 grains of Pyrodex RS. The range was slightly less than 75 yards. That huge cow elk was double lunged; the bullet exited.

The blood trail petered out and another hunter found my big elk cow. He told me that the bullet went through both lungs and left a tiny exit hole.

Back