some observations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the past couple months I've been shooting some new muzzys and my CVA Accura V2 which I swapped out a scope. The newer ones were a new to me Rem 700ML and a new Knight Disc Extreme. And I had a Badger Ridge 209 ignition system installed on the Rem and the Disc Ext I put in a Lehigh 209 conversion.
Through past experience I knew that Alliant Black MZ, 80 gr and a 300 gr Hornady .430" XTP in a green Harvester CR sabot was the most accurate load (the .452" in a black CR is just as accurate) in the Accura V2. So switching scopes and sighting in was a snap.
But going to both the Rem and Knight was a different story. Try as I might, and I really did, I wanted BH209 to work in these rifles or at least in one of them. But alas it was not to be. After a couple frustrating outings with each one I went and tried the Black MZ. The results were real eye openers. Groups for both rifles shrunk considerably. The Knight showing the best improvement with groups going from about 2.5" down to just a tad over 1"! The Rem improved also and is accurate enough for my hunting but I'm sure can be tweaked a bit more next year.
Another observation I noticed is that for consistency I like to swab the bore after each shot so that all (except the first) shots are shot out of the same semi clean bore. In doing so at the range and using the proper solvents for BH209 and Black MZ I found that the Black MZ leaves considerably less fouling in the bore. Both are easily removed but the 209 requires more swabbing.
Now for all you fans out there I know that with equal charges BH209 will give you higher velocities and I won't argue that point. But IMO I prefer accuracy over velocity and in 3 out of 3 of my inlines, Black MZ wins hands down in the accuracy department.
So OK now you can beat me up if you like but my targets don't lie!!!!

MZ was a great powder if you got a can with proper quality control. Alliant powder originally wanted a powder called Black Mag 3 but the producer blew up his facility which illustrates his quality control .

one thing TRIPPLE-7 will work in flint locks with out any black powder under it! but you will still have to prime with BLACL POWDER!

any one ever shot CLEAR SHOT? an easy clean up? and is it still made?

you think that you use it? yes or no? have you ever used it in a flintlock with out an amount of real BP, in front of the main charge? just courious? as I have an old can of it? don't know how old the can is as it was given to me. I would like to give it a try. it isn't changed color & doesn't smell. toot.

If you're going to use an inline, you might as well just switch to CF's.....Period!

Nothing at all wrong with in-lines, They are and serve a hunting and plinking purpose From my in-lines I graduated to a few percussion rifles as well as flints. To save the wear and tear on percussion`s/flints I still shoot the in-lines more for targets these days, I do prefer the percussion/flint for hunting. But for Black Powder I cut teeth on in-lines, they led to percussion and flints.

For those of us that do not have unlimited centerfire seasons an inline is an option. Also we have muzzleloading seasons also would rule out CFs.

I use whatever rifle gives me highest confidence for results. Ironically it's one my brother bought for $45 off of Craigslist!
I gave him $50 for it and it has never failed me 8 out of 8. The bullets however (Powerbelts) often disappoint with no exit and little bloodtrail. Nonetheless, my freezer is kept full and no whitetail have escaped it's consequence. It happens to be an in-line that uses 209 ignition.
20211030_085344.jpg
As you can see, no exit.
The bullets are like glass!

Last edited:
I use whatever rifle gives me highest confidence for results. Ironically it's one my brother bought for $45 off of Craigslist!
I gave him $50 for it and it has never failed me 8 out of 8. The bullets however (Powerbelts) often disappoint with no exit and little bloodtrail. Nonetheless, my freezer is kept full and no whitetail have escaped it's consequence. It happens to be an in-line that uses 209 ignition.
View attachment 3689
As you can see, no exit.
The bullets are like glass!
like I said, might just as well use a CF.

Last edited:
Rifle season doesn't start for some time
The use of muzzleloaders whatever the design or ignition affords the opportunity of early harvest
I do prefer center-fire weapons for long range shooting but the rifle season is late for the rut and short (15 days)

Rifle season doesn't start for some time
The use of muzzleloaders whatever the design or ignition affords the opportunity of early harvest
I do prefer center-fire weapons for long range shooting but the rifle season is late for the rut and short (15 days)
I understand the different seasons for weapons, and the different amounts of time given in different states.......however, rut or no rut, animals(deer, elk, moose, caribou, bear, antelope, and on and on and on) are readily available. Here in Colorado, muzzleloader season is around 10 days(more than enough time to get your animal). Rifle(CF) season around 5-7 days. Many hunters only dedicate weekends, some are only willing to to road hunt or just go 50-100 yds off the beaten path. Most dedicated hunters get out there and hunt dawn to dusk, and are willing to put in the time.

Muzzleloader 48, I have a question. Back in 1973-74 I lived in Colorado Springs. At the time you could buy a deer tag over the counter, is that still possible today?

Back