Newb from Ohio, Stationed at Beale AFB CA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just as the topic applies. I just purchased a Bone Collector and hope to bag a blacktail and a whitetail this year. Any tips or tricks?

Welcome to the forum. You picked a great rifle for the hunts you want to accomplish. The Bone Collector is a sharp looking rifle. From reading posts of the different Triumph owners, they are good shooters also.

I suggest you go to the inline form, explain your new to the sport, and you have a bone collector and would like a few load suggestions. I am sure the other Triumph shooters will lead you to some excellent loads.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Oh ya! it would! My ten year son has a Triumph and he took three deer with it last year only shooting 80 grains of BH209 powder with a Barnes 250 gr TEZ bullet. Two shots went completely through the deer after hitting several ribs and one traveled the length of a deer and finally stopped after hitting a hip bone. With more powder and a heavier bullet, it will take down almost anything you shoot at.

That rifle would plant a pig with no problems. It would even kill Moose, Elk, Bear, Bison, etc.. Muzzle loaders have a LOT of power. The nice thing about them is they can be loaded for want you want to hunt.

For instance a deer is thin skinned, a simple 240 grain XTP is all that is needed. Granted some have a favorite bullet, but still with as little as 70 grains of powder it would do fine. I have a book where the author's favorite white tail deer load is 50 grains of powder and a round ball. Now I might not agree with that, but he is loading for the kind of conditions he will encounter.

Sabotloader hunts elk with his muzzleloader and shoots them at some distances that are incredible. Others with scoped muzzleloaders shoot deer at close to 200 yards or better.

While a wild hog is tough, they are not bullet proof. Some guys last year went and hunted them with roundball. None of them had a problem planting porky. Falcon shoots hogs in OK all the time with a muzzle loader. I would hate to think how many pigs he has planted.

Lil Bucky Green Wing said:
Thanks!! Would this rifle also suffice if I ever came across a Wild Pig?

Absolutely with the correct bullet. Even lesser quality bullets will take them just fine with good shot placement and your gun should easily provide you with a very good start.

Im sure it will humanely kill any North American game with very few exceptions, like the largest ones that may like to hunt you too.

Welcome aboard and congratulations on a fine rifle.

Thanks all. I have yet to shoot the muzzleloader, but was wondering what the maximum effective range for a newb like myself with the open sights. Im not new to hunting or shooting, just new to rifles.

Once you work up a good load, the range is determined by how good a shot you are. With good optics and excellent shooting skills I would say that is a 200 yard rifle.

Lil Bucky Green Wing said:
Thanks all. I have yet to shoot the muzzleloader, but was wondering what the maximum effective range for a newb like myself with the open sights. Im not new to hunting or shooting, just new to rifles.

As mentioned that will depend more on you than the bullet....after you find what you and the gun prefers on paper.

Im comfortable out to about 100yards with a peep site, many people are much better though. My LK93 54cal is sighted in just a bit high at 65 yards and keeps sub 2" groups at that range with a peep site.

Many muzzle loaders including yours should easily do better than my old 54cal.

Latest posts

Back