Need bullet advice/suggestion for lightest .50 grain bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpb

Reaction score
I've been to my orthopedic Dr. and he tells me that I have a pretty bad torn rotator cuff in my right (shooting) shoulder that needs surgery to correct. I can not take any more surgeries mentally, 7 in the past 9 years, so I had him give me a steroid shot and am going to start physical therapy to prolong the problem. I need to find a lighter bullet for my .50 cal Accura for this year to deer hunt to cut down the recoil and the punishment on my shoulder. Has anyone used a 180gr XTP or maybe a 200gr Flex-tip with good success? I know that the 300gr XTP will stop 'em in their tracks because that's what I've used to take 2 deer in the past 2 years. I need to do everything possible to reduce recoil without giving up too much stopping power. I don't even know if going to a lighter bullet would reduce recoil that much but if there's a chance I need to try and I can't afford to buy a bunch of different lighter bullets to find out, although I dearly would love to try, so I'm hoping someone has already tried. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Why not try just 70-80gr and a GoldDot 45LC-250gr. Accuracy wont suffer and neither will knock down.

Recoil is very mild and expansion is great even with a light charge. My next choice would be a 40-180gr GoldDot IF it shoots well enough for you.

What are your typical hunting ranges johnpb? I've shot 200 grain .40 caliber XTPs out of my Omega X7 with 85 grains of Pyrodex and Harvester 50/40 sabots. It gave me acceptable hunting accuracy out to 75 yards, but opened up a lot after that. That bullet will do the job and recoil is very modest. For the lightest possible recoil you might see how your gun does with patched balls. Put them in the right place and you'll be skinning deer.

EDIT: I have to agree with GM 54-120. That 250 Gold Dot over a modest load of 65 or 70 grains powder doesn't kick bad at all and would likely be the most effective light kicking load you'll ever find.

My youngest son and grand daughter both used an early Knight MK85 in 54 caliber. The load we used was 60 grains of 2F blackpowder, 60 grains of 2F Clear Shot and later 60 grains 2F 777 My son shot several deer with the predecessor to the Hornady XTP/HP...Hornady RXT/HP 185 grain .452 bullet then converted to the XTP when RXT's were discontinued. Grandaughter used the XTP's.

I can tell you from first hand experience...both bullets with 60 grains of powder in the 54 anchored deer with authority inside 70 yards or so! Using 50 grains in a 50 caliber rifle would yield very similar velocities as 60 grains in a 50 caliber. Recoil is virtually non-existint.

45-70 killed lots of buffalo. Big slow bullets kill!

So, I agree to first reduce the powder. I have used 85 to 90 gr for elk!

Next add a Sims recoil pad. It helps a LOT. I have a slip over on my Omega because the stock is too short for me and I like the extra length. But they make exact fits for lots of models and also grind to fit for those that don't

This was the damage from 80grs of BH209 and a 45LC-250gr GoldDot.

SpeerGoldDot45LC250.jpg

I would guess its safe to say, even a milder charge would leave one hell of a wound channel.

The bullet I use on this years buck did a very good job it was a 200gr 40 caliber Lehigh bullet. I had a long angle shot just past the hip and diagonally through the body. Got 26 inches of penetration and only went a few yds I seen him drop and thats not bad for a long angle shot like that.
The other one I would use in that situation would be the 250 gr Gold Dot with a reduced load they will open quite well with 80 gr loads.
An other one to consider is the 200 gr XTP it is also a 40 caliber that I have used with good success.
The 200 gr 40 caliber SW is a good bullet but I like at least 100gr to get them to open the way I like.
I have tried the 180 gr bullets but in my 50 calibers they did not give me satisfactory accuracy they work quite well in the 45 caliber.
If you expect to have to shoot any distance the 40 caliber 200 gr bullets will give the best results and wit about 90 grains they are the best choice I know of.
for 100yds or under the 200gr 40 caliber or the 250 gr Gold Dot will do quite well with 80 gr.

Maybe recoil does not effect me... BUT I was shooting some .40 caliber 200 grain XTPs in the blue sabots out of my Wolverine. I was shooting 80 grains of powder is all. Accuracy was outstanding, and I would not even call the kick a recoil. More of a little push. Now I only shot them out to 88 yards, but they were plenty accurate and I have no doubt, deadly to a white tail.

This is some good info. I'm looking for some similar loads to get my oldest boy started on. I don't want to shock him with a hot load when first starting out.

Thanks,
Dave

Thanks guys, this is a lot of info. I know it only takes 1 shot and if I can just get through the trying nd expermenting I think I'll make it. I have a LedSled to take most of the recoil while finding something. The ranges that I'll be hunting shots will be from close to 150yrds or so. I took an 8-point at 158yrds last season and I'll be in the same area much of this season. Recoil doesn't bother me usually, but with this shoulder problem it starts you flinching after a couple of shots because your shoulder is already hurting from the torn rotater cuff. It actually makes it hard to seat a bullet too depending on what kind of shape the shoulder is in. I really appreciate eveyones thoughts and suggestions.

For the ranges you're talking about, I would go with either the .40 cal 200 grain XTP or 200 grain shockwave with 70 - 80 grains of T7 or BH209. That should get you out to 150 yards, although probably not much past that. I've used both bullets with great success, and I can verify that the 200 XTP works very well at modest velocities. I've only shot 1 deer with the 200 Shockwave, so I can't really comment on their performance.

I set up a 50 cal Knight Disc Extreme for a friends wife to use and the load was

200 gr TC shockwave
Blue MMP 40/50 sabot
60gr Blackhorn 209
CCI 209m in Knights red plastic jacket

Gave me right at 1600fps at 10' from muzzle
3/4 inch group at 100 yards
Almost zero recoil The only thing she had ever shot was a 22 and she said it wasn't much different from shooting that.

Your mileage may vary

DC

My daughter and i have used this loads for years with great success.A T/C Cheap Shot over 40 gr( volume) of 3f triple 7.1350 fps out of a 24 inch Traditions Tracker.Between the 2 of us 9 deer with 9 shots at ranges of 15 feet to 115 yards with all but 2 being pass throughs. No deer went more than 60 yards after the hit.Its like shooting them with a .44 magnum revolver.A very nice load on the shoulder and budget too!Ya know the rifle went off 'cuz there's smoke and the striker's foward!

Yep, just duplicating an average 44mag rifle load is all most deer need for a humane kill IF the shot is well placed.

I hunted deer for many years with a Ruger 44mag semi auto and never felt under gunned. Duplicating that load with a ML is easy and just as effective

I've thought about a new recoil pad but the one that came on it is pretty good. I had already thought about reduced powder, thats why I was interested in a lighter bullet. I'll have to have the surgery sometime from what the Dr. said so I'm trying to get by on the cheap for now and maybe make it until Oct. 1st for opening day. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Latest posts

Back