I almost forgot the other one of the pair.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Finally got the Disc Extreme 50 ready that i bought with the Elite 45. Its all ready for tomorrow. I did test it out with the Lehigh NFPJ Gen I and its not bad at all. Four different primers were ok but the Win209 closed a bit tighter and seemed to almost crush. They were very clean. Fed209As werent bad either if you prefer mags.

Well here she is with the QR steel rings, new sights and a Simmons 3x9x32 black powder scope. A client gave it to me for a PC onsite bonus. He said he bought it a few years ago and never used it. I cant find a BP specific Simmons or the part # but....

Ive ignored her for too long. :D

Extreme1.jpg

Extreme2.jpg

Extreme3.jpg

Extreme4.jpg

Its hard to tell but its pretty clean after 8 primers.

ExtremeNFPJ2.jpg

GM54-120

Dang nice looking outfit you got there.... What is that OD color knob on the secondary safety....

The stock is really good looking of you want to trade for a plane black on let me know... I am sure we can work a deal...

Oops

Tomorow i only get to go to the local range. I forgot its Sunday im going upto Silex.

Knight had/has the Spitfire 285s onsale but the other sabots i wanted to try didnt make it in. These are only .501 and i wanted to try one a bit tighter. They might work great in the 1-24 Pedersoli..its tight.

Im going to try them though with a mag sub base and upto 120gr and see how it does. I wanna see if the sub base helps a loose sabot and drive it hard.

I have a couple loads including a youth load to try out for my friends kid. Just 80grs and a 250gr GoldDot HP and a 3P EZ in the Ovation.

Loading up a few tubes in a few weights right now. :p

That thing on the back safety is a plastic cap that covers the safety and guards it from being scratched. My Knight rifles had them and I took them off.

That is a nice looking outfit there. I like that scope and the way it looks on your rifle.

The rubber cap on the secondary safety works great on my .45 Wolverine 209. Without it, the secondary safety takes a layer of skin off my thumb knuckle due to recoil. Maybe I just have tender hands. :lol:

Well the result are in and its a keeper FOR sure.

First 6 shots at 50 yards with a NFPJ and Win209s. No sight adjustments, only bore sighted.

This one loves the Knight 285gr Spifire boattails and Knight blue sabot. I also had to test the .475 325gr XTP and had 1 flier.
First6Shots.jpg

2 sight in adjustments with just 100gr and a 260gr Partition with the FPJ. Shot 2 was a slight hangfire.
2SightIns.jpg

Shots 9-15 at 100 yards with Nosler 300gr partition,3P EZ and 110gr then a Barnes Original Semi Spitzer .458 with MMP Orange and just 100gr of BH209M w/CCI209M FPJ...Oddly i had another hang fire with the Knight FPJ.
Shots9-15.jpg

Last shots 16-18 at 50 yards and my conical test. Only 100gr and a GoldDot 250gr 45LC and a MMP 3P EZ. The lower 54 conicals are just with a moly wad. The top 2 are with a MMP purple sabot with the petals removed to make a sub base and a moly wad. I only used 80gr for the first test and the range was getting ready to close so i only got to try 2 of each.

FinalAnd54Conicals.jpg

BTW the conicals are from my LK93 54 w/FPJ conversion and a peep site. Thats why i moved it back to 50 yards.

Cool down time varied from 3-5 minutes and this gun is not finicky. It shot very well with 250-325gr bullets and EZ load sabots. The bases of the Knight blue BT sabots looked fine even with 110grs and loading pressure was surprisingly just about right. The 3P EZ powder cup was only slightly worse, still very acceptable. No need for a 50 sub base with any of these sabot loads.

Scott :D

Nice shooting. You need a tighter fitting sabot to help get rid of that hang fire. The FPJs are also part of the problem in some guns as they do not seal tight enough especially in my Original DISC. I would stick with the Knight NFPJ or the Lehigh conversion.

The sabots i used actually fit pretty well. The Knight EZs were not loose even though at .501 they should be. The NFPJ did not hang fire a bit even with either EZ load sabots.

My LK93 is a FPJ and never hang fires even with conicals or with the Harvester 54x45 sabots that are really loose by comparison.

I mainly put in the FPJ just to see if it had a big effect on POI and it was minor. I left it in because the range was closing and the NFPJ Gen I was getting a bit sticky removing the primers.

I think i forgot to tighten a lock nut when i adjusted the trigger too. It started getting a bit of slack/creep and the firing pin seemed a bit weaker at the end.. Im taking it apart in a minute and cleaning the bolt assembly and double checking the trigger.

Im heading upto Silex in about an hour for some fun shooting without all the bang bang bang bang bang bang guys. :D

GM54-120 said:
Im heading upto Silex in about an hour for some fun shooting without all the bang bang bang bang bang bang guys. :D

They give me a headache. I usually leave when they show up which is usually later in the day and am just about ready to leave for the day any way.

Well i spent most of the day teaching my friend and his son about the basics. Made sure they both could load 10 on their own without me hovering over them.

Worked up 2 loads for both rifles they liked. My friend REALLY liked the 200gr SST in a Harvester CR 50x40,100gr BH209, Win209 and it shot surprisingly well too off the sled. Both liked the mild 45LC 250gr GoldDot
load in both guns.

The little 200 SST got his attention since it would clover leaf at 75 yards and 1" high.

Results of the 54cal sub base tests are inconclusive. I know one thing for sure, even with the un weighted sled it begins to hurt. :lol:

I hardly shot the Extreme 50 except i had to burn up the .458 and .459 277gr Lehighs. I really couldnt tell a different in loading pressure, it still had some fouling from yesterday. I did change out to Fed209A primers in the FPJs and did not get a single hangfire. I might have loaded standard CCIs in the FPJs by mistake.

I said WTH and loaded them up with 120gr of BH209 and shot thick steel plates for fun. They sure leave one hell of a dent and recoil wasnt that bad off of a rest. About at my comfort limit though and they didnt group as well as my favorite Barnes Originals in .458 with 100gr or the 285gr Spitfires.

Im sure it would be one hell of a bullet with a little load work though.

I also tried some of the .358 200gr Sierra Pro hunters in the PR Orange sabot with just 90gr of BH209. At 75 yards the groups were running 5" in the Accura 45 but they did not key hole. I had to try them since i had them for 35 Rem. :D No blown 45x357 sabots either?

We mostly just had fun and tried a version of sabotloaders clay pigeon shooting after sight in. We put some nails in a few large fallin branches and hung them on the nails. It was a beautiful almost totally calm 75F day.

Im beat and going to lay on the couch for a while.

Have a great night

Scott

Back