Some items I've made

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILoveMuzzleloading

Reaction score
New to the forum, wanted to share some of the pieces I've made. I'm a hobbyist, but really enjoy it.
This is a small priming horn with some scrimshaw
tempImageEXgiVW.jpg
A small "Day Horn", holds enough for a full day or light weekend of shooting
Horn101_Finished.jpg
My tomahawk sling
DSC_7351-2.jpg
And here is the patchbox I made for my Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle Kit. My father helped me forge the hinge and make the springs, we had a lot of fun with it.
DSC_8077.jpg

Looking forward to being a part of the forum!

New to the forum, wanted to share some of the pieces I've made. I'm a hobbyist, but really enjoy it.
View attachment 3463
View attachment 3464
My tomahawk sling
View attachment 3465
And here is the patchbox I made for my Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle Kit. My father helped me forge the hinge and make the springs, we had a lot of fun with it.
View attachment 3466

Great start

Just finished another haversack and small pouch which I will paint today with linseed oil and hang on the line for a week or two to age and dry. Fighting Metastatic Melanoma, and up all hours of the night so I may as well be productive! Haversack will hold jerky, parch corn, cup, dried squash, hard tack and gunpowder tea, fire steel and fishing kit etc. Have couple "machine sewn ones, but they just don't "look" right in some camps so had been using my home made saddle bags to hold/carry everything. Have couple new 100% wool blankets coming in so will get a little more canvas and get to work on new bedroll next week. You-all have a nice day!
Photo on 6-14-21 at 6.59 AM #2.jpg

Just finished another haversack and small pouch which I will paint today with linseed oil and hang on the line for a week or two to age and dry. Fighting Metastatic Melanoma, and up all hours of the night so I may as well be productive! Haversack will hold jerky, parch corn, cup, dried squash, hard tack and gunpowder tea, fire steel and fishing kit etc. Have couple "machine sewn ones, but they just don't "look" right in some camps so had been using my home made saddle bags to hold/carry everything. Have couple new 100% wool blankets coming in so will get a little more canvas and get to work on new bedroll next week. You-all have a nice day!
View attachment 3516
drax that is some nice bags there. You take good care of your self. Post some more of the items you make.

View attachment 3463
View attachment 3464
My tomahawk sling
View attachment 3465
View attachment 3466

noticed the strap on your hawk sling, looks great, I presume you made it. I have to make a couple now for small pouches and was going to try to make the CLA show this year and pick up couple narrow ones from a lady vendor that weaves them and makes them to color, design, and measure, however this cancer fight may not let me drive up from Mobile Bay area this year.

noticed the strap on your hawk sling, looks great, I presume you made it. I have to make a couple now for small pouches and was going to try to make the CLA show this year and pick up couple narrow ones from a lady vendor that weaves them and makes them to color, design, and measure, however this cancer fight may not let me drive up from Mobile Bay area this year.
Been through it myself. You take care and our prayers, if they do any good, are with you. Keep fighting drax.

Well, I know generally anything you add to hard tack except flour, water, and salt, tends to reduce shelf life. However I have it on good authority that just flour and honey will keep just as long. We'll see. Used whole grain milled flour as the white flour we know now wasn't common until after 1906 or so when they allowed certain chemicals to be used in the bleaching process. I heated the honey a little, mixed it straight into the flour, did vary a little from the recommended method by adding a pinch of salt, and then lightly sprinkling salt on top of pressed cakes. Baked about 20 minutes at 300, then turned off and let cool with door cracked, had to later dry at 120 or so for couple hours. Came out as hard and tough as my regular hard tack. I usually twice bake/dry it, but one go-around seemed to do ok on this. They tasted great. Will have to check on the historical provenance of this method, as to date, have never seen it referenced. Will hang it in the cloth sacks from the ceiling in my reloading room for year or so. Made enough to sample along the way....

Attachments

• Photo on 6-30-21 at 11.01 AM.jpg
    Photo on 6-30-21 at 11.01 AM.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 21
Well, I know generally anything you add to hard tack except flour, water, and salt, tends to reduce shelf life. However I have it on good authority that just flour and honey will keep just as long. We'll see. Used whole grain milled flour as the white flour we know now wasn't common until after 1906 or so when they allowed certain chemicals to be used in the bleaching process. I heated the honey a little, mixed it straight into the flour, did vary a little from the recommended method by adding a pinch of salt, and then lightly sprinkling salt on top of pressed cakes. Baked about 20 minutes at 300, then turned off and let cool with door cracked, had to later dry at 120 or so for couple hours. Came out as hard and tough as my regular hard tack. I usually twice bake/dry it, but one go-around seemed to do ok on this. They tasted great. Will have to check on the historical provenance of this method, as to date, have never seen it referenced. Will hang it in the cloth sacks from the ceiling in my reloading room for year or so. Made enough to sample along the way....
well been about a year, and the hard tack made with honey is still great, been suspended in a small burlap bag in the rafters and no sign of spoilage and have sampled about once a month since. Soaking them in coffee water softens up some, enough to nibble away on, and simmered couple blocks of it in my brass pot for hour or so and was able to mash it into a (not too bad if your hungry) pudding and added blackstrap molasses. Been having a ball doing this stuff since 60's......

either way you seamed to have hit it out of the park. thank's for the post, I for one will give it a go!.

Do you have a recipe you can share? What proportions of flour to honey? I may have to try making some myself.

So how is the melanoma doing? My Dad had and overcame it, hope the same for you!

~Kees~

Do you have a recipe you can share? What proportions of flour to honey? I may have to try making some myself.

So how is the melanoma doing? My Dad had and overcame it, hope the same for you!

~Kees~
So far (last PRT scan) clear, but have to continue immunotherapy for another 6 months at least. Using whole grain flour, I added enough warm honey to make a pretty firm mix, made into cakes baked low temp (150 or so) couple hours, dried open couple more and did it all again. Do my regular hard tack about the same maybe a little higher. “Twice baked bread”

So far (last PRT scan) clear, but have to continue immunotherapy for another 6 months at least. Using whole grain flour, I added enough warm honey to make a pretty firm mix, made into cakes baked low temp (150 or so) couple hours, dried open couple more and did it all again. Do my regular hard tack about the same maybe a little higher. “Twice baked bread”
Will send pics shortly

Latest posts

Back