New T/C Triumpg--What to do with barrel before shooting?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatsHunter

Reaction score
What should I do? Just run a few patches dry to remove anything left from the factory?

Shooting BH209 90 grains, SST 250 with harvestors sabots? Is this a good start?

Give the bore a scrubing with solvent and a brush before shooting.

After my first range session with my Triumph, I gave it 75 or strokes with JB bore paste. The bore remains tight, but, is much smoother.

I changed a bunch of variables for the second trip so I cannot say for sure if the JB alone improved the accuracy. It did increase my confidence, which improves my shooting :wink:

Have fun

katshunter

When I get a new rifle I always get some jb past and do 100 strokes inside the barrel. I believe this takes the rough marks in the barrel and smooths them out. This speeds up the break in time.
I like your load but all rifles are different.Good luck. Steve

At least scrub the factory preservative out of the barrel if its burned into the metal it will be years before it all comes out.
Personally I like to get to know the gun before I take them out to shoot I will take them all apart hone the hammer and trigger parts,scope the barrel and see if a bit of polishing is indicated and check the bedding to see if I might want to modify it at a later date. Lee

When you guys use the JB
Are you using a swab or a brush?
I have been using a swab/mop
I find the Flitz works as well.

saxman1 said:
When you guys use the JB
Are you using a swab or a brush?
I have been using a swab/mop
I find the Flitz works as well.

Jag, change patches every 15 cycles (down and up).

I just cleaned my barrel with some patches and solvent. Dryed it good. Tack driver straight out of the box.

Here's a good link

Here is a link on polishing the barrel. I did this to my ml and Ruger .243 (after they'd been shot) and don't know if it helped. I did it to a brand new Remington .22 I bought this summer and at 50 yards, the .22 seems like the most accurate firearm I've got! I think the boiling water treatments really make a difference - good luck.

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/lapbore1.htm

Back