OMEGA & Z5 OMEGA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering the same thing. I know the Z5 has a weather sheild coating on the barrel. It looks like stainless but its not. Dicks has the Z5 with camo thumbhole for $350. If it were stainless I would jump all over it.

There is a difference in the mechanism to, but I have a z5 and it shoots as good as my Triumph; it just is not any where near as convenient to shoot clean or prime. Lee

I had the same question when I saw that they were a little cheaper in price about a month and half ago. I called TC and one of the representatives and told me they found a cheaper way to manufacture the breech plug. I asked what was it made out of and the reply was "stainless steel". I'm not sure what they were made out of before. But thats the answer I got. It didn't make a lot of sense to me, but I not the smartest guy around either, maybe someone else knows the difference in breech plugs.

I don't claim to know all of the answers but I read on another forum that the trigget mechanism is different. Leave a message to sabotloader or cayaud. If anyone knows they will.

The sights are cheaper, the finish on the exterior of the barrel is not as smooth, the trigger mechanism is a little different using pins rather than screws in a couple of places and I really doubt that the answer about the breechplug is valid. I think that was someone that was just trying to get rid of you on the phone. I think a lot of it is just marketing and they are probably taking less profit on the Z5 just to get the sales hoping that you will buy another T/C rifle and maybe the expensive Pro Hunter.

I believe the stock on the Z5 is a cheaper made stock as well.

The one with camo and weather shield mentioned above for $350 sounds like a good deal to me.

Cajun

No, the composit stock are the same... already went around that corner with the TC tech department. I had a composit fracture in the lug pockets on my SS Omega and had to send it back to TC. Did a lot of talking with them about the black synthetic and they assired me they were the same. Then a friend got a Z5 from the local Wal-Mart and the first thing I did was take his stock off to check... all the same...

OK I just got off the phone with TC arms. The differance is the Omega has machined parts and the Z5 has cast parts which is a lot cheaper to manufacture. The Z5 still has a true stainless barrel with weather sheild.
I can get the Omega with camo thumbhole, stainless barrel as low as $499
Dick's is running a special on the Z5 camo thumbhole, stainless weather sheild barrel for $299. (they had the Omega last year for $399, I passed on it)
I want one but I am leaning towards the standard Omega and not the Z5. Once I own it I want to own it forever.
Not sure how much longer the Z5 will be $299.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks
Frank

Update:
It seems no one, even TC can give the correct information. My friend told me the barrels have to be the same because you cannot cast a barrel so the differance must be in the trigger & hammer mec. So I called TC again, spoke with someone else who told me "there is no differance, they are exactly the same" I told hime someone else from there had told me 1 was machined and the other is cast. He said "no way, they are the same gun". Well then why the $200 to $250 price defferance! He later told be that the barrel is not true stainless. This makes sense! But!!! The other person told me it IS true stainless and the barrels are the same. I tried to call their custom shop, I figure thoise guys should know. No answer!
I guess I will wait it out and miss out on the $299 special. The old saying goes "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is!"

I do believe the barrels are different, thus the $200 price differance.

Frank

There are differences, there is one assembly one the Z5 that only a gunsmith should take apart and it is put together with pins where there are screws used on the regular Omega, the assemable[ one of them ] that is on the regular Omega can be stripped down, it was made a bit different so it could be taken apart.
Now this is hear say so I am only guessing that it is true, the word is that Walmart contracted with TC after S&W took it over to make the Omega cheaper so they could sell it and make a bigger profit. Lee

sabotloader said:
Cajun

No, the composit stock are the same... already went around that corner with the TC tech department. I had a composit fracture in the lug pockets on my SS Omega and had to send it back to TC. Did a lot of talking with them about the black synthetic and they assired me they were the same. Then a friend got a Z5 from the local Wal-Mart and the first thing I did was take his stock off to check... all the same...

I learned something new today. Thanks! Thats good to know. I have the black thumbhole stock Z5 from Walmart

Franksauto said:
OK I just got off the phone with TC arms. The differance is the Omega has machined parts and the Z5 has cast parts which is a lot cheaper to manufacture. The Z5 still has a true stainless barrel with weather sheild.
Dick's is running a special on the Z5 camo thumbhole, stainless weather sheild barrel for $299. (they had the Omega last year for $399, I passed on it)
I want one but I am leaning towards the standard Omega and not the Z5. Once I own it I want to own it forever.
Thanks
Frank

$299 is what I paid for my black thunbhole / blued Z5 at WalMart last December. For one with weather shield, I would get it if you like it. I'm no expert but I would think the Z5 would shoot as good as the original. I'm happy with the way mine shoots.

I think I finally found a conical load. TC Maxiball over 85 gr. t7 2F with Win primers. 2" groups at 50 yards open sights. I still need to sight in at 100 yards, and I will after I get my peep sight. I'm sure you already know, they shoot sabots a lot better then conicals.

Cajun said:
Franksauto said:
Thanks
Frank
what kind of peep sight you going to put on it?

$299 is what I paid for my black thunbhole / blued Z5 at WalMart last December. For one with weather shield, I would get it if you like it. I'm no expert but I would think the Z5 would shoot as good as the original. I'm happy with the way mine shoots.

I think I finally found a conical load. TC Maxiball over 85 gr. t7 2F with Win primers. 2" groups at 50 yards open sights. I still need to sight in at 100 yards, and I will after I get my peep sight. I'm sure you already know, they shoot sabots a lot better then conicals.

I think for 299.00 you wouldn't be disappointed in the gun. I've yet to see a T/C that didn'y perform well,with the right loads. Same with the Knights,my wife's little Wolverine is a tack driver,and it's their low/end gun.She won't part with it,and has killed many deer with it. Ron

I was tld somewhere - dont recall what/where, that the barrel is pinned in on the Z5 and screwed in on the reg omega?

Anyone hear/substantiate that one ?

Got the full report finnally.
1) Weather sheild barrel looks like stainless but is blued, not stainless.
2) Rolling block and trigger mech's are cast and pinned not machined and screwed.
3) Barrels are the same 1 in 28 twist
4) No differance in stocks they are the same.
5) Z5 carrys a full lifetime warranty as all TC arms do.
Other than that everthing else is the same.
I will hold out for the stainless Omega with camo or rosewood thumbhole stock. I found a store locally that has the stainless/rosewood thumbhole for $490. They take trades and I have a pile of pistols I want to move. Will report back if I make a deal.
Frank

Back