BH and Fouling Shot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mogunr

Reaction score
All you guys using Black Horn - Do you fire a fouling shot prior to hunting or are you sighted in on a clean bore?
I'm shooting an Omega with 100gr. BH 250 gr. Shockwave and Win 209 Primers. I swabbed my clean barrel with alcohol then loaded it for ML season. I expect to POI to be the same as POA. I sighted it that way but I'd like your opinions.
Thanks

im shootin 90 gr of BH behind a 260 gr scorpion gold ignited by winchester primers. i dont fire a fouling shot but i do pop off three primers to foul the barrel before loading to go hunting. that fouls the barrel enough so that with a three shot group at 100 yds measures 1 1/2 inches and for me thats good enough. good hunting to you!

I have been hunting with 100 grns BH209, 250 grn Hornady SST or XTP in a Harvester sabot. I sight the rifle in 3" high at 100 yds and give it a thorough cleaning, especially the breech plug. Just before a hunting trip I will go to the range one more time and fire a fouling shot and another shot to check my poi and I leave the rifle fouled until I go hunting and load. My rifle does not shoot to the same poi with a clean bore as it does with a fouled bore and just firing a couple primers does not seem to foul it enough.

Worked well in October on two deer. Hopefully will work well next week too.

paia said:
I have been hunting with 100 grns BH209, 250 grn Hornady SST or XTP in a Harvester sabot. I sight the rifle in 3" high at 100 yds and give it a thorough cleaning, especially the breech plug. Just before a hunting trip I will go to the range one more time and fire a fouling shot and another shot to check my poi and I leave the rifle fouled until I go hunting and load. My rifle does not shoot to the same poi with a clean bore as it does with a fouled bore and just firing a couple primers does not seem to foul it enough.

Same here!

Latest posts

Back