3 NEW GUNS TO THE RANGE

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyzink

Reaction score
Myself and two friends have a range date coming up soon, one new triumph, one new z5 omega and one new endeavor, two set up with the nikon omega scope and one with a leupold ultimateslam (bdc recticles). Looking for advice on what bullets to buy, we are all partial to BARNES BULLETS but willing to try anything that you guys think will shoot the best in these guns. Will be used for whitetail hunting anywhere from point blank to 250 yards. Let us have it!!!!!! (remember we like the barnes bullets)

Because of the extreme ranges you're talking... you might want to try some 250 grain Shockwaves.

billyzink

Goota go with Cayugad on this one - the 200 grain SW might be the best ticket at the range you are discussing...

sabotloader said:
billyzink

Goota go with Cayugad on this one - the 200 grain SW might be the best ticket at the range you are discussing...
point blank to 250, 90% of the time it will be 150 or less though! NO BARNES FANS OUT THERE??

In my Endeavor and Omega I shoot the 250 gr. Shockwave with 110gr of powder. It also shoots the 200 gr. shockwave reallt well. Both will shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

While i have never kill a Deer with the Barnes bullets,it is not because i do not like /love them From all the target shooting i have done and the fact the i plumb shot down cut off really a pine tree about the same size as GAL Milk jug AT 100 YARDS target shooting .I recover some of the Barnes 250 TMZ's from the stub of the pine tree they were all 100% intact without even a bit of Fragmention on any of them.And they group one inch are under gets my vote.I was useing a kNIGHT MAGNUM DISC 50 CAL.I do how ever understand that they may be hard to load on TC guns,as to why some peps might not like them in there TC's guns
billyzink said:
sabotloader said:
billyzink

point blank to 250, 90% of the time it will be 150 or less though! NO BARNES FANS OUT THERE??

Hulions said:
In my Endeavor and Omega I shoot the 250 gr. Shockwave with 110gr of powder. It also shoots the 200 gr. shockwave reallt well. Both will shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards.
what do you have for scope and mounting system on your endeavor?

Not a barnes fan myself.

I would use the 200 SW or the 250 BE from parker.

At 250 yards, drop is predictable but drift is a little harder to figger. If you can shoot enough at the range to feel comfortable with the long shot, I would go with a 300 grainer b/c drift is less of a concern.

So now you have recommendations from 200 - 300 grain bullets and that pretty much narrows it down for you.

Triumph - based upon everything I read would be SST or SW.
I have had good results with Encore shooting the TMZ 290.

Best regards,
Cob

PS When you get to the range, take your time between shots. Hot barrels are not kind to sabots and accurate shooting.

If you are looking for Barnes bullets, check out Cabelas. They have the "Knight" sabots on sale. They are made by Barnes, same bullets. I bought some today to try in my Omega.

Back