How often do you reload when hunting?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesheba

Reaction score
Is is wise to unload at the end of the day and start new the next day when hunting? My only bad shots or total misses have been on second day shots with a previous day load.I always leave the rifle in my truck over night to protect from condensation. Maybe just coincidence??

jesheba

I hardly ever unload a ML - unless I think the load has been compromised by something - if there is any doubt i will push it out. But my current load has been in for several days - through a brief snow storm and cold weather - it is going out in the morning after an elk - I am shooting T7 and I am that confident - but i would not be shooting BP or Pyro

BUT - if there is any doubt - GET IT OUT....

I used to leave a load in and then had one fail at a bad time. After that I unload at night, clean the rifle and reload the next day. Its all a matter of how much you trust your rifle to be true the next day with an old load.

sabotloader said:
jesheba

I hardly ever unload a ML - unless I think the load has been compromised by something - if there is any doubt i will push it out.

x1

I have two guns loaded right now that have both been loaded for more than a week. One of which is loaded for bear which the season doesn't go out until the middle of Dec and unless it gets wet, it will stay loaded. I have no reservations about hunting with them at all. About the only time I will shoot it out is if I have been in a downpour or a bad snow. But as it has be said, if you have a doubt about the load, shoot it out.

I dont reload mine till after I shot a deer or the end of the season.
I did that with BH209 this year got my deer a week and a half after opening day.
I would not do that with any powder that is hydroscopic like the APP powders. Lee

jesheba said:
Is is wise to unload at the end of the day and start new the next day when hunting? My only bad shots or total misses have been on second day shots with a previous day load.I always leave the rifle in my truck over night to protect from condensation. Maybe just coincidence??

Not sure what you are saying.

Did the loads go off ok, but you missed, so you are wondering if leaving them overnight caused them to be less accurate?

Or did you have a hangfire?

FYI, I leave mine loaded for several days unless there is reason to believe that I may have got my powder wet. I have done this with pyrodex, 777, and BH 209, and have never had a hangfire in the field.

Latest posts

Back