Cleaning after 777 pellets????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhino Hunter

Reaction score
I'm shooting a TC Firehawk w/ #11 caps. I'm switching to the 777 pellets w/ SST's and would like to try them at the range soon. I've heard that they can cause more crud buildup than normal.

How should I clean between shots at the range? And what is the best cleaning procedure once I get home. Please keep in mind that I do not have a removable breech plug. (I did a search on this but didn't come up with great results.)

Thanx in advance!

Rhino Hunter

Sptit Patch the bore between shots with a windex dampened patch, using both sides...you will feel the 'crud-ring' near the bottom of the bore...just use short strokes to dissolve the ring.

Then follow that with a dry patch, using both sides...then load the next 777/SST load as normal.

When you get home, remove the breech plug and clean the barrel with hot soapy water, paying special attention to cleaning the breech plug threads.

Then clean the breech plug itself with hot soapy water and don't forget to clean the fire channel hole.

Then dry the bore and breech plug and reinstall with either breech plug lube or teflon tape.

Finally, lube the bore with Rem-oil and you are complete.

Rhino Hunter said:
I'm shooting a TC Firehawk w/ #11 caps. I'm switching to the 777 pellets w/ SST's and would like to try them at the range soon. I've heard that they can cause more crud buildup than normal.

How should I clean between shots at the range? And what is the best cleaning procedure once I get home. Please keep in mind that I do not have a removable breech plug. (I did a search on this but didn't come up with great results.)

Thanx in advance!

Rhino Hunter

Rhino Hunter,

I really don't think your #11 caps will set off the 777 pellets, I know of some 209 plugs that will not do it reliably. What I would do if I were you is either get 777 loose powder, or if you must use pellets get the Pyrodex pellets with the bleck powder bonded to one end to aid in ignition. Keep in mind that the 777 pellets do not have the black powder booster like the Pyrodex pellets do.

Since you do not have a removable breech plug, are you intending to convert your nipple and plunger over to 209 primer ignition?

The problems with 777 crud rings would make me a little leary about shooting a rifle with a non-removable breech plug. You can get some patches stuck pretty hard sometimes. You would definately want a patch worm for those occasional ones that want to slip off. If that happens, you are out of luck and done for the day.

If you do go with 777, when you spit patch go in short up and down strokes, don't just push it to the bottom or you will be in trouble with a stuck patch and jag.

Again, I don't think your #11 will set off the 777 pellets.

Busta said:
Rhino Hunter said:

Thanx in advance!

Rhino Hunter

Rhino Hunter,

I really don't think your #11 caps will set off the 777 pellets, I know of some 209 plugs that will not do it reliably. What I would do if I were you is either get 777 loose powder, or if you must use pellets get the Pyrodex pellets with the bleck powder bonded to one end to aid in ignition. Keep in mind that the 777 pellets do not have the black powder booster like the Pyrodex pellets do.

Since you do not have a removable breech plug, are you intending to convert your nipple and plunger over to 209 primer ignition?

The problems with 777 crud rings would make me a little leary about shooting a rifle with a non-removable breech plug. You can get some patches stuck pretty hard sometimes. You would definately want a patch worm for those occasional ones that want to slip off. If that happens, you are out of luck and done for the day.

If you do go with 777, when you spit patch go in short up and down strokes, don't just push it to the bottom or you will be in trouble with a stuck patch and jag.

Again, I don't think your #11 will set off the 777 pellets.

Well, I did go to the range with the 777 and my #11 caps set off the 777 pellets just fine. However when I ran a patch down into it it grabbed it off of the ramrod. I was able to get it our after some work using a ball puller since I did not have a patch worm. (One is on my 'must buy' list now though.)

I'll switch back to the Pyrodex pellets from now on.

I don't have a removable breech plug so I can't really follow the suggestions of the first poster.

Thanx for the advice.

Rhino Hunter

Most rifles, whether inline or not can run into problems when trying to shoot pellets using a #11 cap. There just is not the fire necessary when you get it in hunting conditions. I would have to agree with Busta and suggest you try loose Pyrodex or Triple Se7en powder. But if you have been having good luck with pellets and that #11 cap, then who am I to say what to use. What you might do is duplex the load a little. Even 10 grains of loose powder down the barrel first before the pellets might really speed up the ignition.

Also when you swab, use pure 91% isopropyl alcohol instead of the windex. In my traditional rifles that use a #11 cap and a breech I can not get into, the pure alcohol will still pull the fowling, and alcohol burns, windex does not. After a alcohol swab, you still need to dry patch but have you ever wiped up alcohol that you spilled? It almost disappears by itself. I just find I get less hangfires with a pure alcohol patch when I swab a #11 cap rifle.

I thought the Pyrodex pellets were supposed to be designed to be used with a #11 cap. Am I incorrect?

RH

"pellets" are normally to be used with a 209 primer. You want a large flame to hit the back of the pellets for consistent ignition.

Rhino Hunter

I also shhot a T/C Fire Hawk!! Love it by the way. I have not shot pellets but I still pour 110 grs of 777 and have for the last 3-4 yrs. It rains about 55 inches a year here in southwet Washington. I prefer #11's as musket caps seem to disapear far to often.

I shoot Precision Dead Center sabots and have used Power belts in the past and eaisily shoot 6-7 rounds or more at the range without a patch between shots. Peep sights put 3 shot groups under 2 inches at 100 with regularity. Every front stuffer I've owned shoots better with a fouled barrel. To hunt with the Dead Centers I foul the barrel with two shots and I'm good to go. The next 4-6 shoots group awesome!! The beauty of 777 is in my experience NO CRUD RING and can go several weeks between cleaning. You cannot do that with black powder or pryodex.

At the range after 6-7 shots I just spit on a patch and run them until clean.

I'm new here at this site and since joining have seen mentioned the windex patches. Sounds good to me have yet to try it but will after the season.

keep with the 777 it is the bomb!! I'll prolly never use pellets as friends were always having hang and miss fires with pryodex pellets. I pour because I shoot alot. I shoot at the range as if I'm hunting. nothing changes between the range and the feild.

Good luck!!

Rhino Hunter

The original intent of the Pyro pellets were that they could be used with #11's because they have a bit of black powder on one end of each pellet. The instructions were to install the pellets with the black end down and towards the breech plug. The only other thing I would add is to use #11 Mag caps and not just the regular #11.

Latest posts

Back