will these speer bullets work?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askoop

Reaction score
Last time I was at Gander Mountain, I ran in just before closing and grabbed some Speer .451, 300 grain bullets. Got home and realized that they are not the gold dot I thought I was grabbing. I looked them up on Speers website, and they are recommended for handgun hunting. They have a flat nose on them.

Will these work from my ML on deer, or do I have something to just punch paper with?

Based upon my own very recent and single experience, they'll work quite well. Loaded them over 95 grains volumetric of BH209 in a Harvester crushed rib. Easy loading in the CVA Apex and produced fine accuracy on paper and excellent results on a deer.

Had a pass-thru so no bullet was recovered.

askoop

It is really a decent bullet... It is a Uni-Core, but does not have the controlled expansion of the Gold Dot... They certainly have sold a lot of them...

I like them a bit better than an XTP, I had a bunch for my 44mag. and shot them in the muzzleloader just because I had a lot of them. I have taken deer with them with the 44mag. and they did a good job the only thing outside of target I shot with the was a 120 pound wild hog with the muzzleloader.

Latest posts

Back