Softening an old vest

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Picked this vest up a couple? Years ago for 5 bucks and she was stiff. Today I lightly wet the leather then applied neatsfoot oil and rubbed it in, applying heavier in the real stiff areas. After I started pulling and massaging the leather and let it sit for an hour. It's amazing how soft it's getting!

Just a side by side. The lighter color side is the real dry side.

20190512.jpg

20190511.jpg

That's amazing.  I'm guessing it will work on any leather goods  :?:

Tandy Leather has different leather rejuvenating oils (products) for doing what you need done contact their customer service number and explain your needs.

I have used neatsfoot oil mixed with beeswax (small amount of beeswax) since the 50's (old BSA trick). This does what you have done but the beeswax prevents the neatsfoot oil from drying out as quickly.

Being a leading member of the "Neat Protection and Restoration Agency", I do not condone the killing of these harmless little marsupials for the oil contained in their fuzzy little feet. We almost rendered the North American "Nauga" extinct with the proliferation of Naugahyde furniture. 🐹🦘🐒🐦

LOL and ROTF!!!!
Thanks Hanshi, you made my day with that!
For some of our younger readers, the actual company website Naugahyde - History explains it thus: "In 1914, Naugahyde was invented at the U.S. Rubber plant in Naugatuck, Connecticut. It was the first rubber-based artificial leather..."
There have been countless pranks on this subject leading to lengthy investigations (check snopes dot com for some outstanding stories)!

:coffee: Hmm... Looked up "Neat Protection and Restoration Agency" they take care of rivers, water ways and drainages. Billy-by-gosh maybe Hanshi has been drinking a little more neatsfoot than he should - probably trying to soften his hide. :cheers:

I always used plain ol' saddle soap on old leather, then followed it up with a sparse treatment of neatsfoot.

We almost rendered the North American "Nauga" extinct with the proliferation of Naugahyde furniture. 🐹🦘🐒🐦

I remember reading an article on the perfect Nauga cartridge. This wildcat was developed because the Nauga got to be real skittish and shots were always long range. The Wildcat was basically a 20mm cannon case necked down to take phonograph needles. Sorry, I don't remember the powder used or velocity achieved... 🤔

Being a leading member of the "Neat Protection and Restoration Agency", I do not condone the killing of these harmless little marsupials for the oil contained in their fuzzy little feet. We almost rendered the North American "Nauga" extinct with the proliferation of Naugahyde furniture. 🐹🦘🐒🐦
Don't let Pelosi and her Libs hear that. They'll put the "Nauga" on the endangered species list and the rest of those LOONIES will believe them! I usually hunt them with my specially built .50 caliber nauga muzzleloader that shoots 100g invisible prb's. :cheers::dancing chicken:🥶

:coffee: Hmm... Looked up "Neat Protection and Restoration Agency" they take care of rivers, water ways and drainages. Billy-by-gosh maybe Hanshi has been drinking a little more neatsfoot than he should - probably trying to soften his hide. :cheers:

Hmmm...Maybe too much Jim Beam and Wild Turkey while I typed that. but it's my story and I'm sticking with it. You see, I reject your reality and substitute my own. My reality gets better as long as I don't forget to take my blue pills. :cheers:

Montana Pine Pitch. A blend of pitch, mink oil, and bees wax. They have paste for routine maintenance and a more liquid blend for rejuvenating.

I used it long time ago on an old dried out 1940s Navy surplus Sailor's Palm and after it 'drank up', the leather has been almost like new ever since!
www.montanapitchblend.com

Don't let Pelosi and her Libs hear that. They'll put the "Nauga" on the endangered species list and the rest of those LOONIES will believe them! I usually hunt them with my specially built .50 caliber nauga muzzleloader that shoots 100g invisible prb's. :cheers::dancing chicken:🥶
Don't laugh! In Washington State a mole is listed as a fur bearer. I can only think someone saw "Moleskin" in the drug store and decided that the trapping of moles needed to be regulated.

Back