Does my TK-2000 use the red FPJ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Deer Man

Reaction score
I have a tk-2000 and it has the pull back action.

There is a stem that comes off the breechplug and a concave bowl on the action that stikes the primer.

If this designed to use the FPJ?

I wonder how effective a concave bowl striking a pfj would be?

Johnny

Yours sounds like one of the earlier ones that use the #11 cap. A picture of your breech plug would help confirm this. I have had one of the first ones made, since they came out 10 years ago. You can upgrade (if you can call it that?) to the 209 Red Full Plastic Jacket if you want. I have both ignitions for my TK, but to be perfectly honest, I prefer the #11 ignition in this gun.

If it were a 209 FPJ, it would have a cone shaped point on the face of the striker for igniting a 209 primer, and a 1 piece breech plug with a non removable nipple.

If you want the 209 conversion, it uses the same one that the USAK/MK/TK/BK/LK/BH/pre-95 .54 cal uses. Here is the Knight link, they want $78, but it can be had for around $50 or less if you shop around.

http://www.knightrifles.com/209-primer- ... on-kit-50/

I have three types of breech plugs for my TK2K. The original plug and plunger uses #11 caps. I installed the kit to convert to 209 primers and FPJ. I currently use the non-FPJ plug and prefer it to the others. The #11 style plunger has a indented flat face and the plug is two-piece, the plug and a standard #11 nipple. The FPJ is a one-piece plug with a stem that accepts the primer carrier. The non-FPJ has a pocket in the face of the plug and is magnetized to hold the primer in place. The FPJ and non-FPJ systems use the same plunger with a cone shaped face. Give us a pic and we can identify what you have.

I have three types of breech plugs for my TK2K. The original plug and plunger uses #11 caps. I installed the kit to convert to 209 primers and FPJ. I currently use the non-FPJ plug and prefer it to the others. The #11 style plunger has a indented flat face and the plug is two-piece, the plug and a standard #11 nipple. The FPJ is a one-piece plug with a stem that accepts the primer carrier. The non-FPJ has a pocket in the face of the plug and is magnetized to hold the primer in place. The FPJ and non-FPJ systems use the same plunger with a cone shaped face. Give us a pic and we can identify what you have.

Pretty sure I have the #11 cap based on the descriptions.

If I want to use the non-fpj, do I need to buy a 209 fpj conversion AND a non-fpj breechplug?

Johnny

Take a photo of the breech if you can. As for a #11... that will set loose powder off just fine.

FrontStuffer1 said:
Pretty sure I have the #11 cap based on the descriptions.

If I want to use the non-fpj, do I need to buy a 209 fpj conversion AND a non-fpj breechplug?

Johnny

Yes, unless you can find one of the non-fpj conversions. They (Knight) sold them BEFORE the FPJ came out for the rifles (MK,BK,LK, etc.,), and I thought they were going to re-market them last year right before we got the word Knight was shutting down production.

Hard telling what the new company will want to market in the future, but it is possible you will see it return.

So, unless you can find one of the old ones, or get Knight to sell you the non-fpj breech plug with the 209 striker, you would need to buy the fpj conversion in the link of my last post, and the breech plug from this link below. The striker is the same for both.

http://www.knightrifles.com/209-convers ... g-M900045/

its definitely the #11.

I was looking at the conversion kit today at gander mtn and the striker I have does not have the point inside. I didn't buy the conversion because I figured I would just try it with the #11 caps.

If I do convert I going to go with the non fpj.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Johnny

You might contact Knight and asked to purchase ?hammer assembly? model number 090215. That would give you the correct plunger without the other items in the kit. Then purchase the non-FPJ breech plug separately. The only other item in the kit that would be useful, if you are going the non-FPJ route, is the breech plug wrench. If it were me, I would use a stubby ratchet with a socket and an extension instead of the Knight wrench. I believe the correct size 7/16?.

Turns out it uses a musket cap!

No matter, I bought the 209 FPJ conversion kit.

Thanks Guys!

Johnny

FrontStuffer1 said:
Turns out it uses a musket cap!

No matter, I bought the 209 FPJ conversion kit.

Thanks Guys!

Johnny

Someone just bought a musket nipple and removed the #11 nipple. The striker will work with either cap.

Good luck working up your loads, there are a gazillion possibilities.

I came VERY close to buying a TK with the FPJ when i got my Elite and Extreme. It was the same price as my Extreme 50 but in wanted a 50 that could handle stout charges.

It sure was a sweet shotgun. All camo with a thumb hole stock and removable choke tube. Its still there but its about $400 NOW on the clearance rack. It was $349 new.

Glad to hear yours worked so well the first try. Sounds like you got a winner. :yeah:

Tomorrow is opening day and I hope to put her to the test!

I wish I could get a thumbhole but I'm lefty.

My savage is a left thumbhole but that was a special favor. Don't know anyone at the new or the old knight rifle so I don't think I'll be getting a lefty thumbhole any time soon.

Johnny

TK2000003.jpg

There is my TK2000. I put a Bushnell Trophy RED DOT on mine. You just put the dot under the birds chin so his whole head fits in the magic circle and...

TK2000006.jpg

Pull the trigger. The rest is easy. If I get to the southern end of the state this year I might try pheasant hunting with the TK2000. I have a modified choke also for it, and that would be a lot of fun. Of course I would take that RED DOT off in that case, but still smoke a bird with that is cool.

Latest posts

Back