.45 bullets in TC Cherokee and Pietta .44 Old Army

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzley30814

Reaction score
Looking at Track of the Wolf this morning I noticed they have a mold for conical bullets for my 44 revolver. They list it as a .450 for 200gr.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categorie ... tyleID=982

They also have a 200 grain REAL bullet mold which I have on order for my Cherokee. It is shown as .45 for 200gr

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categorie ... =LEE-90405

Seems to me that this 200gr bullet should work in both or am I wrong?

I plan on getting out the calipers and measuring before I get to crazy but what do you all think?

I bought some 200 grain .451 lead bullets from a person once. They were made from a LEE mold and he told me they were for the Pietta .44 caliber New Army. The only thing you have to make sure of is when loading, the bullets are not as loader friendly. Get yourself a base loader for them. That thing you use to load just the cylinder outside the gun. When I had them loaded, they shot fine out of the revolver.

When I tried to load them IN the revolver, they did not seat as well as they should, and I ended up not getting them down far enough, so the cylinder would not rotate. I then had to pull the cylinder and manual with a short starter, get them seated to fire.

I never messed with a .45 REAL so I can not help you there.

Dave did you try that bullet in a rifle with a sabot looks like it might make a good plinking load for that also.

I may have to order that mould it would work with both my 44 plus a good bullet to load for my GM 22 in 50 cal barrel

Real Bullet in a 1860 Army

I got the mold in and kicked out some bullets and balls this past weekend. Looks like they should work good in the Cherokee, I haven't shot it yet but should be able to this weekend.

On the chance of using these bullets in the revolver, it is a no go unless you have a stand to set your cylinder in to load chambers. Reason being is the bullet is to long to fit into the cylinder and then turn under the rod to allow you to push it down over the powder.

Guess I need to order the specific mold for the revolver, it is also 19.95 from track of the wolf.

Overall the mold seems to be really easy to use and makes nice crisp bullets and balls even with a novice like me melting the lead. I think I cast about 50-60 total and a buddy of mine who had never cast any either was making some from his new mold for his .50 Optima.

Looks like I have a new pastime.

Back