1st inline.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byrom1212

Reaction score
Ok I just ordered my 1st inline muzzle loader. CVA accura .50cal.

Tell me what all I need other than primers powder and bullets.

When you get your gun there should be a DVD that comes with it. Most if not all new muzzleloaders have something similar. My biggest suggestion is to take your time and not rush into anything. Learn about your gun and then go out adn buy what you need.

I'm not sure but I think that they quite sending the DVDs. I bought an Accura from Cabelas 2 weeks ago and the only thing that was in the box besides the rifle was the instruction book. It did say you can go to cva.com and watch the same program that was on the DVD. Its really worth watching for someone who has just started muzzleloading. Some of the stuff you may or may not need or want to use.

Thanks I'm not new to muzzle loading just new to inlines so I was just making sure but I will watch the video on their site today.

If youve got primers, bullets and powder you should be ready to go. My Accura likes 250g Hornady XTP pistol bullets in a MMP black sabot with Winchester 209 primers and Blackhorn 209 powder. It also shoots Powerbelts well. Just shoot different combos until you find what yours likes. You might want to put some thread tape on your breech plug also. As far as cleaning I just remove the the barrel and fill it full of TC foaming bore cleaner and let it soak for an hour. I then run three patches through and its clean. Run an oil patch down and good to go till next time. The TC breech plug cleaner in the shaker can works great also. Just drop in the plug replace the lid and shake. Hope your Accura is as good to ya as mine.

:D

Go to CVA.COM and watch the videos. They are done really well and they will give you plenty of info.

The sale on the Accura really has me interested. But I am refusing to give in to my demands of another rifle. Good luck with your rifle. Keep us posted.

Definitely get a range rod and a variety of cleaning supplies. A Spin-Jag is also a valuable tool.

quigley said:
If youve got primers, bullets and powder you should be ready to go. My Accura likes 250g Hornady XTP pistol bullets in a MMP black sabot with Winchester 209 primers and Blackhorn 209 powder. It also shoots Powerbelts well. Just shoot different combos until you find what yours likes. You might want to put some thread tape on your breech plug also. As far as cleaning I just remove the the barrel and fill it full of TC foaming bore cleaner and let it soak for an hour. I then run three patches through and its clean. Run an oil patch down and good to go till next time. The TC breech plug cleaner in the shaker can works great also. Just drop in the plug replace the lid and shake. Hope your Accura is as good to ya as mine.

What kind of thread tape do you use?

OK thanks.

The big brown truck just droped it off looks great.

and is the ram rod supose to be to short for the barrell when it is unloaded?

I use the common white Teflon tape but IF you can find it ,the gray is better for stainless applications.

A bore brush is nice to have too and a torch pic set or the correct sized drill bit to clean the breach plug flame channel and hole.

I also prefer Hoppes #9 Benchrest formula but the standard is fine. I finish up with Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner, a little goes a long way and wont leave a harmful residue in your bore if you forget to swab before shooting it.

IMO Win209 primers seem to be the best fit in standard strength and Fed209A in the mags in my Accura 45. Your results or preference may vary.

The swiveling solid aluminum Cabelas range rod isnt bad for the money either combined with a Spinjag. That way you have 2 swivel points.

I also like the CVA PowerBelt ball starter set. It has 3 sets of different tips for a variety of bullet styles. 2 jags for the ball starter and one for the rod.

the best solvent for cleaning blackhorn209 is Butches bore shine. It cleans it fast without any hard scrubbing, especially on the breech plug.

If using bh209, CCI 209M primers are the best IMO. Clean and excellent ignition.

Gander have you had good results shooting bh209 out of your Accura? Have you modified the breech plug or is it stock? Was thinking about switching over to bh209 but didnt want to modify the bp.

i shoot the factory plug. With the CCI 209M primers, Ignition/perfomance is flawless. If you want to shoot winchester primers, blackhorn says to just drill your flash hole out to .035" ( #65) drill bit. It takes about 3 seconds to do.

I found the modded ( lehigh vent liner) plug to be much dirtier in both my Accura and Saxmans Kodiak.

frontier gander said:
i shoot the factory plug. With the CCI 209M primers, Ignition/perfomance is flawless. If you want to shoot winchester primers, blackhorn says to just drill your flash hole out to .035" ( #65) drill bit. It takes about 3 seconds to do.

I found the modded ( lehigh vent liner) plug to be much dirtier in both my Accura and Saxmans Kodiak.

When your 'clean' factory plug starts to suffer erosion of the flash hole; you could consider mailing it to me. It will cost less than $2 postage one way, and i will install a vent liner in the worn out plug. This will allow you to keep shooting this 'clean' plug some more. It is my suspicion this 'modified' plug will shoot just as clean as an unmodified plug.

By and by, the primer seat may begin to show flame cutting. This will result in more and more blow back, and your 'clean' plug will be no more. At that time you could toss it, or you could mail it to me, and i will prep it so you can use o-ring in the primer seat, which will result in a 'clean' plug again. If you wish, instead of prepping the plug for an o-ring, it could be modified with a grade 8 bolt to have a nice smooth new primer seat, which will result in providing 'clean' ignition.

The fact that your unmodified plug shoots 'cleaner' than Saxman' modified plugs, is because the head space and/or primer seat of your plug is a more better fit for your rifle, than the modified plugs. Adding a vent liner to the breech plug, in itself, shouldn't affect blow back all that much.

The fit of the primer in the seat, and the fit of the breech plug-primer in one's rifle is the key to 'clean' ignition.

well over 2,000 shots through this plug with at least 1,000 more waiting this year. Still uses a #68 drill bit to clean the flash hole. No erosion as of yet.

frontier gander said:
well over 2,000 shots through this plug with at least 1,000 more waiting this year. Still uses a #68 drill bit to clean the flash hole. No erosion as of yet.

They must have started using a harder steel for the BP. The one in my old WinAPex was showing signs of erosion with 500 rounds. The flash hole is now in the .036 range and much larger than the new CVA replacement.

Maybe Lehigh could make a OEM dulpicate out of harder steel and the option for a vent liners and a little less head space.

I agree totally with Ron, proper primer head spacing is the key to a super clean BP and great ignition. The one he sent my for my WinAPex is perfect. The breach is spotless and the primer gets just a slight crush. The OEM plugs including the new one were terrible dirty, you could even see sparks from the breach in low light with just firing a primer.

Back