Snail Capper Problems

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVA Fanboy

Supporting Member
Supporting member
Reaction score
I purchased a #11 snail capper (CVA) and #11 CCI caps I have had on hand. I put 100 caps in it, tossed it in a range bag drove to range, fired my first 6, YUP I got a a 6 shooter I load 6, however on the reload the caps were spun upside down, side ways and just any which way, I opened snail capper straightened out caps, got the reload done tossed capper back in bag. fired those 6 came back for the reload, and again caps spun any which way. Is there a "trick" to using these cappers I am missing

On my snail capper (Ted Cash), there is a small brass pin on one half of the capper. This pin corresponds with a hole on the other half. When assemble correctly with caps, the pin is in the hole, the lever for dispensing a single cap is in its corresponding slot and the closing wedge slider is put over the pin. The caps stay in the correct position. It could be that your caps are too tall and do not allow for the capper to close properly. RWS caps tend to do this as they are taller than CCI caps. Remington caps have also given me problems in the past. The cappers were made for #10 caps which are slightly smaller. Some #11 caps work, but not all.

I've had that problem too but just turned the.caps to the correct position and made sure.the capper was fully closed and the.spring loaded feeder was working to only push out one cap at a time.

I've had that problem too but just turned the.caps to the correct position and made sure.the capper was fully closed and the.spring loaded feeder was working to only push out one cap at a time.
Come to find out this capper I have needs to be hanging, can not be laid down or jostled about in a range bag. Trying a different route.

On my snail capper (Ted Cash), there is a small brass pin on one half of the capper. This pin corresponds with a hole on the other half. When assemble correctly with caps, the pin is in the hole, the lever for dispensing a single cap is in its corresponding slot and the closing wedge slider is put over the pin. The caps stay in the correct position. It could be that your caps are too tall and do not allow for the capper to close properly. RWS caps tend to do this as they are taller than CCI caps. Remington caps have also given me problems in the past. The cappers were made for #10 caps which are slightly smaller. Some #11 caps work, but not all.
YUP I did find that with my CVA also, but once I found that issue it kept feeding all wrong. It is my mode of transport, toss in range bag and go. Seems they (cappers) need to be kept hanging from neck or off a belt.

all cappers seem to be problematic. that said I put them on with my thumb and seat them with a wooden dowel!

Leather Capper? Could you elaborate please and thank you
You know, a circular piece of belt thickness leather with cap holes punched along the perimeter about 1/16" in from the edge, and a slit cut from the hole to the edge of the leather. Place caps in the holes, put the cap over the nipple and pull the leather away from the nipple in the direction of the slit. The cap stays on the nipple. Put a hole in the center of the leather disc, and tie a thong thru it and onto your bag strap. Has worker for the frontiersmen for many a year, and is still working today. No need for fancy metal cappers.

I had the same issue with one of my snail cappers. The removable side is probably not flat or maybe dished so when you latch it the side is not completely flat allowing a gap between the side plate and the caps. Find a small can or jar lid that is about the same diameter as the rim of the plate. place the capper side plate on top of it so the inside surface is up. gently push down on the center of the plate where the locking pin goes through . It will be a little trial and error. after pushing down once, put the plate back on, shake the capper around and see if the caps are still upright, if not, try pushing down on the center again but a little harder. May taken a couple of times but it should fix the problem.

these new fangled thingness are all gadgets! ever wonder why none of them are seen in any cased pistol sets back in the day? HUMMM?!

these new fangled thingness are all gadgets! ever wonder why none of them are seen in any cased pistol sets back in the day? HUMMM?!
Yes actually I never wondered, I ah well figured technology had made advancements since those day of old. YES we advanced PITY "Quality" dropped

I like the looks of them. I will give them a try. thanks' for the site's where to obtain them. toot.

Back