Bone Collector Scope Help!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I thought I would buy a Bone Collector and be extremely happy with the awesome looking Optic Sights. And I am, BUT I don't think my confidence will be too great hunting. So my question is what scope should I buy? I have researched for quite a few days and have never been a scope shooter, my life has been nothing but shotguns. I have a good friend with a sled and some knowledge so sighting in should be no problem.

I am kicking around the idea of the:

Cabelas Powderhorn in Realtree- I like the reticle but the mixed reviews and cabelas brand makes me raise questions

Bushnell Banner- Good reviews, not a fan of the reticle.

Bushnell? Trophy DOA Muzzleloader Scope- New scope, no reviews that I could find, I like the reticle, seems easy to understand but it might be too technical for me.

Leupold Ultimate Slam- To me seems like the best, but also the most expensive. Will those extra dollars for a newbie like me really help on the accuracy. I dont mind putting the time in to shoot.

EDIT
Now I am seeing some information on the Nikon Omega. Havent been able to find very much information though.
EDIT

With all of that being said I was wanting the scope to match the realtree on the BC. My buddy just bought the Gray BC off cabelas with the scope and if he shoots better than me I want to at least have the sexier firearm.

ALso keep in mind I know nothing about the different rings as well.

Lil Bucky Green Wing,

Since you don't shoot scopes to often, I would offer that you keep another spec in mind for your research. That is Eye Relief, it is how far the scope must be from your eye to see the entire feild of veiw that the scope will offer. Of the scopes you mentioned you will find they vary a lot. For some guys this is never a problem but for me it is. The eye relief can affect the type of rings/bases you use to mount the scope too, how far forward or back you need the scope mounted so you do not need to "lean into it". The nikon omegas have about the most eye relief of the scopes you mentioned, I think it is 5", but he Prostaf and Monarchs will have an inch or so less. IF your friend has a few different models, see if you can take a look through his, if they are mounted on rifles. This will help in deciding the "range" of eye relief that will work for you.

I like the Nikons and Leupolds for my shooting, all are bright and clear. If you shoot longer distances the extra lines or dots can be benificial, but if you only shoot out to say 100 - 125 yards I personally would just stick with the standard plex reticule for hunting. Just less stuff to worry about when the game is in sight.

ShawnT

I have 3 Nikon Omega scopes with the BDC reticle. They all work great and I love the 5 inches of eye relief. I have practiced with them out to 200 yards and the aiming circles were right on. Some people say that the reticle is a little too thin to see well at dusk but I've never had a problem with it.

Scope

I have the Bushnell Trophy XLT DOA-250 on my ML. It works great, the extra crosshairs have a dot in them and not circles. I think the dot is a much easier sighting system than the circles. After sightin in at 100 yards the 150 and 200 yard crosshairs are right on target.
No need to pay an extra $100 for an Omega when you don't have to.

With any scope you will have to experiment with different loads until you find the one that works with your crosshairs.

For me in my Accura it is a 250gr Barnes Spitfire T-EZ with supplied sabot pushed by 110gr Blackhorn 209 fired by a Fiocchi 209 primer.

Finding the load is the fun part.

Rogo

When I consider a scope I consider what kind of shooting I will be encountering. Now if all my shots are 150 yards or more, then a good end scope with a BDC would be my choice. I have a Nikon Omega 3-9x40 and it is a wonderful scope. Clear, crisp, just can not say enough good about it.

If I have shots that are 150 yards and under, then that opens me up to much more. I would then suggest the Bushnell 3200 or the Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm with out the BDC. I was shooting a paper plate at 150 yards off sticks one afternoon with a 4.5x scope. Once you learn the drop at that distance the rest is easy. And the close shots, the 2-7 can handle it all.

If I am in brush and my shots are 75 yards or less, just a simple straight 4x32mm is all I need. I have several of them on rifles, and I have a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn in 1.5-4.5x32mm which again, is an excellent woods scope. I even shoot a simple 2.5x20mm Simmons on a Wolverine and for ranges out to 100 yards, I would take the shot any time.

So what is a good scope for you? What are you going to encounter and how much do you want to spend. It is a personal decision. Also as mentioned, eye relief is important when dealing with muzzleloaders. Why they seem to catch me more then a center fire I do not know. But I want to see 3.75 inches of relief at least.

For instance, I shoot a $39.00 Simmons Pro Diamond 4x32mm on a couple rifles. Cheap scope right...
Well really it has great glass, and I have put a ton of bullets under it and it is taking all the abuse I can hand out. I like them so much I keep a couple on hand for new rifles that I decide to scope. Not something you can brag about because you did not spend $200.00 on, but I dare a white tail to come within 150 yards of me with that scope.

The dnz deadnutz one piece base and rings would be a solid choice. Mounting would be very simple just follow ins. Then bore sight

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16952912@N04/4648813561/

Sorry i didnt imbed the image, was having some HTML issues. So it is the Nikon Omega with Leupold Base and Rings. Sportsman's Warehouse is where I bought it (last one) and they also mounted it and bore-sighted for me. I am very impressed with how clear the glass is, and I really like the BDC250 reticle. I cannot wait to get it out and dial it in on the range.

*Also was wondering if I should get the optical sites taken off? They arent touching the scope and I cant see them when im focused in through the scope. Do you just replace the screw or will I need to get a type of plug?

If you take off the open sights you will want to get a Filler screw to fill the holes to keep out dirt, the screws from the sights will be too long. I would imagine TC might carry them if you call. But if you figure out what size they are you can most likely get some from Brownells.com.

ShawnT

I own several Nikon Omegas but like the Leupold a good bit better. Better glass and seems to be a bit longer tube as well.

Either way you wont go wrong but I will spend a few extra bucks on the Leupold vs. the Omega scope..

Not to hijack this but it is good to hear from you Doohan. You must be working too much to visit often.
Have a good summer shooting.

So I see the last two posters were from Ohio and NW Ohio. Anyone from Allen County? I used to work the Sporting Clay circuit through Hog Creek, Indian Ridge, and Mt Blanchard.

Latest posts

Back