Finally caught a cat from the pond.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Reaction score
They started coming up for the fish food the other day. I hung a piece of Catfish Power Bait - Liver Flavor 3" beneath a small float. One sucked it in not a minute after it hit the water. 20"long, 4 3/4# Tomorrow's dinner! Too late to clean tonite, so I filled a horse trough with water and I'll let him swim 'till dinnertime.

I stocked 50 of them in the pond in the Spring of 2003 at 6" long. I didn't start feeding last year 'till late August and quit in October. I didn't think they would grow that fast. :shock:

Way to go Bluedot you have to be real patient to catch them cats, but 2 years is strecthing it. I think you have the makings of a good dinner.

Bout time you pull some out of that pond BD!!! :lol:

Thats the size for mighty fine good eatin.

It tasted just fine! I plucked one from the pond last year, it was 16" long. I stocked it with 50 channels that were 6" long in 2002, after a bad winterkill that just about killed everything in the pond. They grew 5" from last year! I'll see about getting another one tonite.

BD, sounds like they are eatin pretty good there! You got some bluegills etc in there for them cats to feed on?

Loggy, there are bass, the cats and lots of 'gills. I put in close to 500 last year, and another big bunch this year. A few of the bass spawned, and there were clouds 3' to 4' in dia. of 3/4" long largemouth fry. The 'gills made a lot of beds too. There are 'gills from 8" down to fry. Next month I plan on throwing in 20# or so of fathead minnows to help the fish over the winter. They are supposed to spawn a few times in a year, & I think that will give them enough time to get 1 brood in before the winter. No cats this evening.

Sounds like you got a good thing going there BD. My Dad & I used to stock a local farm pond years ago with crappies and bass. It was really fun seein those fish grow and taken a few now & then for the fryin pan.

Back