Do you really need quick release rings on the 10ML-II?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic_58

Reaction score
What's the general consensus on using quick release vs. permanent style scope rings on the 10ML-II? I need to purchase rings for mine and can't make up my mind if I should get QR's or not. I'll be using smokeless powder only in it so obviously the maintenance will be greatly reduced except for the occasional ventliner/breech plug servicing. Does the amount of breech plug maintenance warrant the use of QR rings? I'm just looking for a little advice from you guys that have experience with the 10ML-II and if you find quick release rings a worthwhile accessory on this gun if shooting smokeless powders.

No one needs them. But, I certainly prefer them for several reasons.

Regardless of muzzleloader, when I'm cleaning the gun-- it is nice to get the scope quickly and safely out of the way.

Your scope might have RainGuard, but there is no mud-guard :? -- scope full of garbage, you can go to irons in seconds.

If I'm on a hunt out of state, I generally bring two scopes. No way do I care to let a scope ruin my hunt, even if it isn't the scope's fault. Unloaded gun falls out of a scabbard, lands on scope on rock-- well, I've seen it happen.

Also, there are different scopes for different applications. Example was a 1.5 x 6 Elite 4200 to pop a pig, but a Sightron 3 x 12 Mil-Dot was popped on for the mouflon. Lots of advantages, and no disadvantage save for the small weight of the levers-- that can be removed if you choose.

ok which QR do you prefer. With regard to Leupold, do you like the ones that work with a weaver style base or their other one that drops in straight from the top. I have the one that drops in from the top on my Encore because the open sights would not allow me to use the weaver base type.

ok which QR do you prefer

Warne "Maxima" rings/bases first. Next would be the Leupold QR-W rings/bases(actually same base as Warne).

I use Warne Maxima's on my Encore, Contender G2, Knights, Austin & Hallecks, Savages, etc.

RandyWakeman said:
I use Warne Maxima's on my Encore, Contender G2, Knights, Austin & Hallecks, Savages, etc.

And I am using the Leupold 2 piece (same as for Savage centerfire) with "turn in" front ring and windage ajustable back ring.

Has been rock solid so far!

Talley rings and bases. Great combo a weigh a little less and look great. I use these on all my rifles. Just a tad more expensive though.

Without a doubt Warne Maxima on all my guns. But would try out the Talleys sometime. :D

I've used weaver steel base-ringings for years with no problems.$20 a set.Just don't over tighten them when you take them off and put them back on .

Doohan said:
Warne Maxima's here.. I love em!

BUT... I like the Leupold QRW's the best !!

OK, so I believe I'll be getting quick detach rings for the 10ML-II. I just couldn't decide if they were necessary for shooting smokeless. It IS nice to get the scope out of the way when cleaning though!

I will get a set of Warne bases, but what's the opinions between the Warne QR's and the Leupold QRW's? Are there any pros or cons against one or the other, or is the difference between the two basically just looks alone. Personally, I like the looks of the Leupold QRW's better, BUT, if they are not equal to the Warnes in quality and holding power, then I'll just get the Warnes and be done with it. So, whaddaya think?

Here in Wi. we can only use 1x power scope during the ML season however during the shotgun season we can use any ML scope plus I am going to Co. Elk hunting and there its no scope. So QR are real nice.
Redclub

RandyWakeman said:
Warne makes them both.

Then the Leupolds must be OK then! :D I may go with the Leupold QRW's then based solely on looks alone. Thanks for the great info guys!

I like the QR rings because I keep both of my Savage's in the same 2 gun case. They will not both fit without touching eachother unless I remove at least 1 of the scopes, and there is no way I want them rubbing against eachother inside of the case when I am transporting them.

Redclub said:
Here in Wi. we can only use 1x power scope during the ML season however during the shotgun season we can use any ML scope plus I am going to Co. Elk hunting and there its no scope. So QR are real nice.
Redclub

The PERFECT reason to get QR/QD rings! You never know WHERE you may get the opportunity to hunt!

Then the Leupolds must be OK then! I may go with the Leupold QRW's then based solely on looks alone.

I like 'em fine!

RandyWakeman said:

Which base model number works on the Disc Elite? I have the steel Weaver grand slams for my sons gun and it sits really high even with low rings.

The bases on my Disc Elite are steel Weaver Grand Slams, the rings are Warne QR medium, the scope is a Bushnell Elite 3200 3 x 9 x 40.

Back