I really dont know if it's worth it anymore.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
Shooting TripleSe7en. I think i was telling Big6x6 i was going to put the Savage away this hunting season and shoot my Encore and Knight Disc Elite. After going to the range the other night i just might change my mind. First off, i got 777 all over my Scope Lenses. Boy, that sucks. Then fighting the CRUD ring with 777 sucks also. It's just a dirty ORDEAL. I guess i never really payed attention until i started shooting Smokeless Powder. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of some of my TripleSe7en guns. I cant wait till Big6x6 gets his new Smokeless rifle. I might just go that route all together. :? I plan on testing/trying some different loads with the Savage now. The load i have now is so good, and cheap it might just be impossible to beat. AA5744, .452 300grn XTP, MMP Short Black Sabot, Winchester Primer, RW ventliner. This combination is really effective to me. I'm not one to worry about cost of bullets and so on. But if you are, it doesnt get any cheaper then the Savage. The gun is very cheap to shoot in comparison. We'll see what happens the rest of the summer. :arrow: :arrow: :lol:

I won't even bother with bp guns anymore unless I am just helping someone out. They are a mess and I am to busy to be bothered. I would rather do something else besides clean rifles.

Rifleman said:
They are a mess and I am to busy to be bothered. I would rather do something else besides clean rifles.

Sad..... But true..

once you shoot smokeless... it is hard to go back! Crossville was a stunning reminder!

I agree with all of you. Only problem is I have to use 777 during the ML season down here because smokeless is not allowed. Maybe some day!

Mike

so40 said:
I agree with all of you. Only problem is I have to use 777 during the ML season down here because smokeless is not allowed. Maybe some day!

Mike

We need to get Randy to fix that problem. :idea:

I have three black powder guns and my Savage. I didn't get rid of the BP guns but I just never shoot them anymore. I take that back, I have 4BP. One is a damascus Parker and BP is the only thing I can shoot in that and I like to hunt pheasants with that gun.

I hear ya, In Wi. we can go smokeless and its great, However I am going to Co. This year Elk hunting and its smoke all the way. I thought that maybe CO. should modernize until you understand there way of thinking and it kinda makes a little sense. They have a deal with the Co. muzzleloaders assn. that muzzleloaders will get 5% of the elk kill. Then they take the kill ratio and come up with a no.of tags to be issued to get the 5% kill. This off the Co.Div.of wildlife website.
Now if they make this anything goes, there will be a lot more elk killed (or so they think) and more people will apply, so that makes for a lot longer wait for a license. In places such as Wi. where you can shoot all you want (does) then why not have smokeless. I have a Savage and it shoots better with smoke than my Omega. So if I get to go every year or every other year and smoke or every 5 years or longer without smoke? To me there is no question.
Redclub

RandyWakeman said:
It doesn't look like sabots or 209 primers are allowed, either. :?

Shhhhhh! Don't say that too loudly. :D I agree, but it doesn't seem to be a problem (primers and sabots). None of the Game Wardens ever fool with that. Most likely the biggest part of them would not say anything about the Smokeless unless forced to. I could get away with it as I know and have worked with all the Officers around here. But.....they would never let me live it down and would (while smiling) call me a hypocrite. I have fussed about hypocrite Law Enforcement Officers too long to give them a shot at me. :wink:

I am talking to some people about a "feeling out" process concerning smokeless with the "powers that be", but it will take some time.

Mike

so40 said:
Shhhhhh! Don't say that too loudly. :D I agree, but it doesn't seem to be a problem (primers and sabots). None of the Game Wardens ever fool with that. Most likely the biggest part of them would not say anything about the Smokeless unless forced to. I could get away with it as I know and have worked with all the Officers around here. But.....they would never let me live it down and would (while smiling) call me a hypocrite. I have fussed about hypocrite Law Enforcement Officers too long to give them a shot at me. :wink:

I am talking to some people about a "feeling out" process concerning smokeless with the "powers that be", but it will take some time.

Mike

I have no idea what the MS regulatory review process is, or if they even have one?

The basis for allowing smokeless powder in guns designed for their use is fairly simple: fast, humane, ethical game management with an economical propellant that is inherently safe, and does not reduce visibility after the shot. Nor does it quickly destroy equipment.

It is hard to see how an educated game department can deny its use-- and still allow Triple Se7en, much less T7 pellets.

Smokeless powder is FAR more "primitive" than Triple Se7en.

Grouse Posted: "I really dont know if it's worth it anymore."

To me it is! :D

I gotta keep on a smokin/cleanin as long as PA has its 2 WEEK LATE SEASON FLINTLOCK ONLY SEASON. For me, I love both my SMOKERS AND NON-SMOKERS! :D

Its good ole Goex and spend a little time cleanin-up to enjoy 2 weeks of great huntin. The ole Pain/Pleasure Principle but the Pleasure far surpasses the Pain! Could stay home & watch Football. :cry:

I'm gettin a lil lazy but as far as huntin....seem to have more energy stored for such remedial clean-up tasks than other things. :lol: Plus, my White Super 91 just seems to love THAT 3fg 777! Clean-up.....think I can live with it. :lol:

Loggy said:
I gotta keep on a smokin/cleanin as long as PA has its 2 WEEK LATE SEASON FLINTLOCK ONLY SEASON. For me, I love both my SMOKERS AND NON-SMOKERS! :D

Flintlock season you have no options in PA. BlackPowder only. :)

The rest of the seasons are strictly Muzzleloaders for me. After a long day hunting, skinning Deer and running kids around is normal. Smokeless Muzzleloading gives me a little more time for everything and everybody.

Doohan said:
Loggy said:
I aint ever tellin whut Loggy eats anymore! :lol:

It gets worse? :shock: :lol:

:D Not much JJ. Sometime I will reveal the articulate butcherin procedures of gettin the most out of a Snappin Turtle. This is almost approachin an Advanced Forum Topic level where only special admission should be granted to those who meet Loggy's Iron Gut Screening Test. :lol:

Loggy said:
Doohan said:
Loggy said:
I aint ever tellin whut Loggy eats anymore! :lol:

It gets worse? :shock: :lol:

:D Not much JJ. Sometime I will reveal the articulate butcherin procedures of gettin the most out of a Snappin Turtle. This is almost approachin an Advanced Forum Topic level where only special admission should be granted to those who meet Loggy's Iron Gut Screening Test. :lol:

I most certainly would not be granted admission there. :shock:

Back