Conical Bullets??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leapfrog

Reaction score
Is it true that the conicals will lead the bore bad..I have heard they will to the point of where you might have to use the lead out cloth..LP

This is tru if you don't clean your gun propperly .
I shot conicals for years and 3 yrs ago thought I would start to shoot saboted bullets well This past month I had bought a Knight KRB to try to shoot conicals out of and it shot them great . So I desided to try them in my Disc Extreme same results Shot great SO now I have gon back to Conicals For GOOD ! When you clean your gun after shooting all you have to do is use a brass bore brush and a good cleaner that removes Copper & led like CR 10 by Barns is what I use But there is alot of great cleaners like this on the market now a days.
In addition to being easyer to load more Kenektic Energy they are alot cheaper than saboted bullets.
I shoot the custom made Conicals By BULL SHOP Dan makes a great custom cast Conical at a fraction of the cost. I just bought 800 bullets from bullshop with shipping and all came to 226.00
Also you can shoot less powder with conicals than you will with sabots.

Lead conicals will lead your bore if you try to push them too fast. 1200 - 1300 fps seems to be the limit, a lubed wonder wad can sometimes get you a bit more speed.

Think of it this way... have you ever leaded the bore of your .22lr? Most of the ammo you shoot is most likely a pure lead bullet. Go to the super fast stuff and it will be copper plated.

Same rule applies here...

Yep...Keep the velocity below 1400fps and generally speaking you should have no problems. Most of the lead conicals I've shot were shot from about 1150fps t0 1300fps. Never had a problem with lead buildup in the bore. I speaking of .45 and .50cal conicals from 360gr to 500gr here.

How do I know the MV without a chronograph....I been wanted to get one and maybe I will order one..Is there anyway to guesstamate the MV..

Back