Anyone want to guess at how well this bullet will do on game

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimG

Reaction score
Powerbelt 444 grain 50 caliber flatnose propelled by 100 grains of Pyrodex RS. Game is whitetail deer. Range will be 25 to 125 yards. Now that I have some in hand I'm concerned it won't even expand. Will it just punch a 1/2" hole through the deer or will it expand since it's such soft lead? Anyone shoot a deer with a 400+ grain solid lead conical? If so what was the result? How did the bullet perform?

Best thing to do with that bullet is to drive it into the shoulder to get some expansion.
58 yards, 80gr Pyrodex RS - Semi damp sand.
Recovered Weight:
443-443-433

Picture050.jpg

Picture052.jpg

Picture053.jpg

Picture051.jpg

no i did not. I dont have a chrono.

If you're just hunting whitetail, Go check out the 338 platinum.

338 platinum, 100gr RS , 20 yards into damp sand,
Recovered weight - 338 - 332 - 336
338-100gr-20yrd-2.jpg

338-100gr-20yrd.jpg

I would not use the 444 flatnose for deer. I used one on an elk and because it did not hit a bone, it did not expand at all. Had 1/2 in entrance and exit hole. Luckily part of that 1/2 inch hole went right through the heart! I would use something that would ensure expansion, like the platinum or the 348 aerotip.

As far as taking out the shoulder to ensure expansion, I don't like to throw away that much meat. Shoot them through the heart lung area with an expanding bullet and they will not go far. JMO.

Anyone shoot a deer with a 400+ grain solid lead conical? If so what was the result? How did the bullet perform?

16 to 18 deer in the last 5 years with Bullshop conicals ranging from 420 to 600 gr - 70 to 85 grs T7. Most DRT - longest recovery about 50 yds. All but 2 passthrus with much larger exit holes suggesting expansion including the boiler room/no shoulder hits.

Of course these where with real conicals :wink:

Steve[/list]

Why is a Powerbelt not a "real conical"? It's a full bore (well really it's barely undersized but..........) lead bullet. The plastic skirt is really no different than the rear end of a Minie ball.

hes just yanking your chain. The plastic skirt just makes a good gas seal and protects the base of the bullet + it takes up the extra space as the bullet it self it undersized for a slip fit.

Well the Power Belts were designed back when everybody was shooting a tradition rifle and using black powder, some of them do shoot with good accuracy in the inlines but the best results come from the 1300 to 1500 fps range and unless you plug the hollow point it is not a good idea to go much faster.
Hornady designed a conical for the new inlines called the FPB it is made in a reasonably good ballistic shape, mushrooms nicely even at high speed and shoots well from most guns, they might be worth a try.
If you don't live in a place where conicals are a necessity do try some sabots you might like them. Lee

JimG

There are still a few states that do not consider the PB a conical because it has the plastic skirt. Idaho just recently changed their rulling on this and the probably should since they are made in southern idaho. A PB really is nothing more than an elongated round ball that really should be shoot at PRB velociites to be effective. PB's come in 3 varieties all lead, with a thing layer of copper, and now some with a tougher layer of Platinum becasue the others tend to blow up if shot with any velocity.

I beleive the popularity of PB's originates in the fact that they are so easy to load + they are accurate. For people using an ML to extend the season, or others that only on occasions use a ML the PB is probably the easiest way to shoot - just add pellets and PB and your are ready to go.

I think that FG has educated most everyone on the evils of shooting the bullet to fast, but yet that is the tendency of most hunters.

Heavier slip fit conicals that are now available are much more able to handle a greater velocity and can create much more energy over an extended range.

I do not know what your hunting regulations allow but if they allow you to hunt with other projectiles - there so many better projectiles out there that will out perform a PB especially in some marginal hunting conditions.

Re: Anyone want to guess at how well this bullet will do on

JimG said:
Powerbelt 444 grain 50 caliber flatnose propelled by 100 grains of Pyrodex RS. Game is whitetail deer. Range will be 25 to 125 yards. Now that I have some in hand I'm concerned it won't even expand. Will it just punch a 1/2" hole through the deer or will it expand since it's such soft lead? Anyone shoot a deer with a 400+ grain solid lead conical? If so what was the result? How did the bullet perform?

i find that a 444 grain bullet is way too heavy for deer ...250 gr. is more than enough ..shot placement is more important than hitting the deer with a "sledge hammer" also POWERBELT bullets would be my last choice ',

I've shot a few deer with TC Maxi Balls and 405 grain .45/70's and I would expect your 444 grain Powerbelt to do the same thing they did. If you hit a deer properly in the boiler room, you should find him dead within 50 yards of where he was hit. And you probably won't find the bullet, because it should pass all the way through.

bullet

If i;m hunting in tight quarters w/ guns to left of me and guns to the right of me, I want brown down. All these thoughts are right and true. You have to pick the one that works for you, if you are good w/ your gun and can shot place lighter, if your good w/ agun but not shot placement the sledge hammer works. I shot a big buck w/ a 200 grain xtp.mag this year. It went threw ribs and pulverized the heart and lungs of that buck. the bullet was a size of a nickel flattened but it did the job at 140 yards DRT!! Use what you beleive and are comfy with....

black powder said:
POWERBELT bullets would be my last choice ',

+1

Gimmic. Then BPI took it to the next (price) level by making them $hiny. I'm guessing that the ribbed skirt is for her pleasure - because they serve no other purpose.

hakx said:
black powder said:
POWERBELT bullets would be my last choice ',

+1

Gimmic. Then BPI took it to the next (price) level by making them $hiny. I'm guessing that the ribbed skirt is for her pleasure - because they serve no other purpose.

The ribbed skirt is for easier loading, better gas seal and not the mention that the ribbed skirt on the platinum is also larger in diameter for rifles that use the over sized bore like knight does. The Platinums load much easier in my Accura than the originals do, And they also shoot tighter.

That shiny copper also stops leading. I shot 15 of the regular lead powerbelts and after those, i had so much lead built up in my barrel that it was unbelieveable.

If you want a gimmic, think back to knight soaking a rifle in a big tub of water and having it go off. The primer carrier may have sealed the water off but the bullet inside the barrel sure didnt.

SteveB said:
Anyone shoot a deer with a 400+ grain solid lead conical? If so what was the result? How did the bullet perform?

16 to 18 deer in the last 5 years with Bullshop conicals ranging from 420 to 600 gr - 70 to 85 grs T7. Most DRT - longest recovery about 50 yds. All but 2 passthrus with much larger exit holes suggesting expansion including the boiler room/no shoulder hits.

Of course these where with real conicals :wink:

Steve[/list]
+2 I haven't killed that many with conicals, but close to it. Last 4 where hit with .451 460 grain and .504 496 grain lead White powerpunch and Batchief trashcan conicals and all were DRT. No tracking, no blood trail, no need. High shoulder shot, no shoulder damaged meat, hit above the shoulder/below the spine. Why change success?

For hunting 125 yards or less I would not use anything besides a heavy conical (420-620grains). At that range the trajectory is not a problem and they sure do load faster than a 250gr saboted bullet. I shot 2 does within 30 seconds of each other because conicals load fast. No stinkin short starter required. U might not need a 460gr bullet to kill a whitetail but u don't NEED a 250gr bullet sitting on top of 120grs of powder either.

Well I'm gonna give 'em a try anyway. First I'll see if they group out my Omega. I plan on staying inside of 100-125 yards with this load so trajectory should not be an issue. I'll stick with 250gr sabots out of my Knight though. My Knight has real long range potential.

Back