Breaking in a Accura Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkM

Reaction score
Well thanks to all the advise on my other posts. I went ahead an ordered a CVA Acurra from Cabela's. I got the Black/Stainless with the regular stock. It should get here end of next week!! :D

I am trying to get everything together that I need to shoot it. I am going to try 300gr XTP's with Crush Rib Sabots (I have a bunch of these that I use for my other gun) I also am going to play with some Power Belts.

I have never tried BH209 before I have always used Pyrodex but I am going to try it in this gun. From going though old posts it seems like a CCI209 or a WIN209 primer is the way to go to for primers. I will also get some Hoppes #9 for cleaning and a 7/64 drill for cleaning the fire hole. What oil should I use to protect the inside and outside of the bore? I have been using Knight gun oil in my other gun.

And what about breaking in the Bergera barrel on the Accura? Is there anything special I should do other than clean it out well before shotoing it? Should I shoot some cheap conicals or some round balls with a reduced charge to break in the barrel?

Thanks for everyones help!

Mark

Congrats on your new gun.
I have the same one but havent shot it yet.
If your using pyrodex those primers will be fine,with the BH 209 I would suggest the CCI-M or Fed 209 A there are others but I have not personaly tried them yet so I cant report.
There are folks here who use the w-209 and it works fine for them.

I don't know about breaking in so I'll leave that to the more experianced shooters here.

MarkM said:
...................... I am going to try 300gr XTP's with Crush Rib Sabots..........................
Mark

The xtp bullets in a Harvester 'smooth' sabot, load without too much effort in my Accura. It could be the crush ribs will be too loose, especially if you are going to use BH209.

I shoot the .452 Hornady XTP Hollow Points with black crush rib sabots out of my Accura. It is an excellent fit and loads the same without swabbing on the 9-10th shots with the BH209.

Try some Break free CLP to clean that barrel in and out. Or Eezox is another great one. Or any synthetic oil, there are several out there. Do a search and you should find em. Most of the BH209 guys suggest staying away from Teflon based oils. You shouldnt have to do a thing to that Bergara barrel but give it a cleaning and fire away.

Montana X Bore protector and Birch Wood Casey synthetic oil are the most compatible with BH.
The Bergara barrels are supposed to be pre-polished, so should not need a break in.

MarkM

Sounds like you have a good start but i would get some Smooths too. They are a bit snug but BH209 prefers a good seal. Mine prefers the Win209s for sure as long as you keep the channel and hole clean. I use the CCI209M for hunting or cold weather just in case i get any hang fires.

The 300gr though might load a bit easier and still give a good fit in the Crushribs. I do like them with the heavier bullets too.

The Win209s are the cleanest primer in mine. I think its how they fit the CVA plug more than anything else.

Have fun, those 300s are fun :D

Those crushed ribs load pretty easily in my Accura. I use the mmp hph 24 sabot load much better. If you were going to try that BH 209 you might want to try those mmp hph 24s

Back