Down the road from me

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman1

Reaction score
near the St. Augustine outlet, in a new KB homes subdivision.

Just an hour south of me

15footrattler.jpg

15footrattlerbmp1.jpg

15footrattlerbmp2.jpg

15-foot Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake.

Largest ever caught on record.

I did not know they grew to such great lengths. Was this a pet that was released or what?

Chocdog

snake

Just emailed that to my friend that lives on Amelia, Calls it paradise, teased that the snake got in watch for apple trees going. Man that is just HUGE!

IF that is an eastern diamondback, it nearly doubles the longest on record according to searches I just did!!!! Are they SURE its an Eastern Diamondback? At any rate, wouldn't want it in my yard!!!!!!!

15 Foot Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake Caught in Florida-Fiction!

Summary of the eRumor:
A forwarded email with photos of a captured snake saying that a gigantic Eastern diamondback rattlesnake measuring 15 feet in length was caught in St. Augusta, Florida.

The Truth:
This tale is fiction. A public information officer with the St. Johns County Sheriff's department told TruthOrFiction.com that there was an incident involving a large Eastern diamondback rattlesnake in July 2009 but the snake was 7'3" in length.
The photos, taken by an unidentified civilian, were an unintentional trick of camera perspective. The captured snake was closer to the photographer than the law enforcement officer shown in the background. This made the venomous reptile appear larger than life.

Eastern diamondback rattlesnakes in the wild have been known to grow up to 8' in length.

update 01/28/10

I searched this incident and discovered the above information. But still, that is one big snake. I hope they did not kill it. Something like that needs to be put in a zoo on display and fed all the time to see just how big it will grow before it dies.. Man what a snake!!!

Sorry folks
I should have checked before I posted
I killed a 5 footer and a 7 last year

them things scare me

snake

I don't care, 6',7' + is still freaking huge and I don't want to play w/a snake that big. Shoot em' or run em' over.

Here is one of mine from last season

Diamondback.jpg

Diamondback3.jpg

My 38 + P did a number on him.

cayuga said:
15 Foot Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake Caught in Florida-Fiction!

Summary of the eRumor:
A forwarded email with photos of a captured snake saying that a gigantic Eastern diamondback rattlesnake measuring 15 feet in length was caught in St. Augusta, Florida.

The Truth:
This tale is fiction. A public information officer with the St. Johns County Sheriff's department told TruthOrFiction.com that there was an incident involving a large Eastern diamondback rattlesnake in July 2009 but the snake was 7'3" in length.
The photos, taken by an unidentified civilian, were an unintentional trick of camera perspective. The captured snake was closer to the photographer than the law enforcement officer shown in the background. This made the venomous reptile appear larger than life.

Eastern diamondback rattlesnakes in the wild have been known to grow up to 8' in length.

update 01/28/10

I searched this incident and discovered the above information. But still, that is one big snake. I hope they did not kill it. Something like that needs to be put in a zoo on display and fed all the time to see just how big it will grow before it dies.. Man what a snake!!!

they arnt that un common down here in fl. that one was about 45 min from my house. yeh they killed it if you look at the pic they got it stuck on a gig. gig is a 3-5 point spear for giging flounder at night. the snake as you pointed out was only 7,6 but still a bigun.

I really like them pictures. It is amazing what can be done by changing the angle and distance with a camera. If you look at that picture it does look like a 15 foot snake. I would hate not to see something like that in the wild and step on it. I'd rather see it and then react to it.

Are rattlesnakes that common in Florida? When I think of rattlesnakes I always think of out west, but then we forget there are EASTERN and WESTERN Diamondback rattlesnakes. Wisconsin has Timber Rattlesnakes they claim. Just out of curiosity, I Goggled rattlesnake species and was shocked at all the different species and locations of rattlesnakes.

I just did more reading about their location... you in Florida must be snake central. Better you then me.

man we are covered up with snakes! we see mostly pigmey ratlers when we hunt in the warm weather they are all over the place, they only grow to 12 inches but are way more deadly than the eastern ratlers and got a hell of a atitude too them little things will stand up to anything that comes by them! then we got them nasty cotton mouths aka water mocasin they are nasty too real nasty! but the dimond backs 95% of the time wont bother you one bit in any way unless you do them wrong in some way first, the other two just look to get ya!

snakes

I want to say 60 minutes did a peice on snakes in Florida. Boa Constricters and how they are rapidly expanding the range into the north. Up here the cold I think would kill them, but these guys were saying they are crawling into sewers and stuff staying warm. All these were pets that got flung about during the hurricanes for the past 10 years. U keep dem anyconors down there my frien'

flounder said:
Do you eat em?
Art

I didn't
my intention was to have him mounted and put him by my front door to discourage solisitors and hari chrishnas
no offence to them I just want to be left alone

when I found out how much they wanted to stuff him I gave it to a friend who used the fangs in his mount and the skin for a guitar strap
don't know if he ate it or not

I just know they creep me out and I shoot them

People are the biggest threat to the local wildlife there is, and themselves. Think of all the animals we brought into this country that were not a resident species and then they got away from us. The Nutria.. I saw a program on them and the damage they do. They were brought to this country for their fur, got loose and now are a real problem. And I saw that program on Monster Quest about the pythons and boa constrictors that have been let loose because they got more then their owners could handle so they turned them loose. Now they are making their own place in the everglades and with warmer states.

I have a friend in Cape Coral Florida and he was telling me about all the iguanas that are around his place. Well Iguanas are not native to this country. There are also monitors that they are now catching in Florida (another TV show) and they are not native.

As you are probably aware, Bengal Tigers are kept as pets in this country. What happens when they can not be controlled? Black Panthers, cougars, etc all kept as pets. They believe that a lot of the big cat sightings are from people turning loose their pets when they could not afford or handle them anymore.

We need to wake up and stop the import of these animals and also to regulate the ones that are currently in this country. (climbing off the soap box now...)

Back