Sighting in and working up a load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mofish

Reaction score
I had an old TC stock, and purchased a Green Mountain .45 barrel for it about a year ago, but never got around to firing it. I had set the barrel up with a Lyman peep sight and a 17A front sight...something I have never done on a muzzleloader before. I went out to my range yesterday and gave it a try finally. I started out with a .440 RB, but it just didn't feel right when seating it, so I went over to a .445 RB and it did just fine. I am only using it to punch some paper, so I started out at 30 gr. of 3f Goex and I think it will work fairly well with this light load. I made up some targets using the top off of a mayo jar and an ink marker and put about a 1" circle in the middle of those.
The shots started hitting about a foot high, but worked their way down until I think it's getting close. I finally finished up by shooting a 5 shot group and called it a day. I think it might actually shoot a little better, but I was just resting the front of the rifle on some boards at 25 yards, and didn't use any bags under the rear. Guess I'll have to get serious with this combo and see what happens...
Z81KEjDl.jpg

Y2cwdaql.jpg

I have one of those GM drop in barrels in .45 also and mine will shoot groups like your last one all day from the bench. I have won a few turkey shoots using it. I am currently selling the barrel cause I need the cash.
If I had a use for it, I'd certainly be after it !! I had one of their barrels in .40 a long time ago, and it was a real shooter !

My .40 flintlock longrifle has a GM "B" wgt barrel. I've had it for quite a long time and it will really shoot.

38" barrel and around 8+ pounds.

A couple of things I have noticed when first shooting a new barrel/new rifle:

It is best to get about 50 rounds through a new barrel before trying to get serious about adjusting the sights. Like many things, gun barrels break in, and also get settled into the stock. I know the barrel is ready when it takes fewer patches to come clean.

I do my basic sighting in off sand bags and a bench, but always finish up from offhand. In most cases a rifle fired off the bench groups a bit lower than same rifle from offhand, so I go slowly with the file after switching to offhand.

NB: the Fort Lupton Muzzle Loading Club will host its annual Masters Match on October 10 and 11. In the past this has been ten shots each at targets at 25, 50 and 100 yards. This is a great range, purpose built for muzzle loaders. Range is NW of town, at end of Historic Parkway, N from CR 14.5. See website at www.flmlc.org.

I always finish up shooting targets from field positions as well, White Fox. POI can be quite different from a bench.

I always start out at a bench to work up loads and get basic sight adjustments. Offhand will definitely give you a small difference in point of impact, but I like to start out with a solid hold on the rifle and try to eliminate the offhand movements to start with.

I always start out at a bench to work up loads and get basic sight adjustments. Offhand will definitely give you a small difference in point of impact, but I like to start out with a solid hold on the rifle and try to eliminate the offhand movements to start with.
I do the same thing....it's a smart move....saves headaches.

It's a good way to begin and field positions are a good way to finish up.

Latest posts

Back