Anyone use TC Encore without 209 extractor

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whelen B

Reaction score
Is it necessary? Does it do more than just pop out primer? Apex design just got rid or it altogether I think. Extractor in mine is the older non rotating one.

Just got a new old stock Encore Katahdin 209x50cal. I'm new to the TC design - just got it. Used a Knight and Savage lots though.

extractor

I have it on my TC Pro Hunter and I like it. It does rotate out of the way but the barrel caanot be closed if it is . I have never had a problem w/it and it gets the primer outr quickly. I know some guys just pull em' and toss em' but I have no procblem w/ them.

Seen no reason for them. I think it is easier to get the primmer in/out without the extractor. Guess I'm a pull 'em an toss 'em guy.

I bought the swing out and used it for a little while. I removed it and didn't look back. Much more simple to use and clean without it.

I don't use on on my first Encore just so I don't have to take off the barrel to remove the breech plug.

chocdog

Thanks all.
I never heard of anyone doing it but thought maybe I could - especially after Apex just turfed any extractor in their new Apex design. I like being able to quickly remove the breech block so I was getting ready to drop the $$$ on a rotating one. But then I got wondering about this way - sans any extractor.

When I had my encore the 209 primer (W209 Winchester) did stick in the pocket so I used the extractor. The one time I had the extractor out during a hunt in cold weather the primer stuck and cost me a second shot. I left the extractor in after that and sometimes the 209 would still stick. :roll:

got rid of 2 extractors the ridged one and the swing absolutely useless for my ENCORE ..but good for the centerfire barrel ..

Latest posts

Back