2009 Little Buck & Dumb Luck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jascoesens

Reaction score
Greetings and Happy New Year.

Here's the story of my opening day of Deer season, 15 Nov 09. I've had the best season ever. Access to private property can certainly make a world of difference in the number of opportunities presented. This year I had permission to hunt my friend's property just on the outskirts of a large SW MI city. Lots of orchards, streams, wetlands. fields and rivers nearby. Woo-Hoo! And for a bonus, there are 2 apple trees with-in 40 yards that the deer have been frequenting on a daily basis.
I had my chair blind set up just off the back corner of my buddy's back deck, just 20 feet from the back door. My blind is one of those folding canvas (nylon) chairs with a series of hoops that pull and support the blind over, around, and in front .

09_little_buck_1.jpg

In the 1st picture, you can see the beautiful view I had to survey. the back side of the pond is ~140 yards away to the north. Also, there is a slight ridge/ drop off running crosswise ~25-30 yds in front of the blind.
Just before 0800 a couple of doe crossed in front of me E to W to get their apple fix. As usual for me, the "shakes" set with the first sighting of the season, so I decided to just watch them. They drifted off into the woods on the west side after about 10 minutes. I continued to watch them just inside the woods for about another 5 minutes when another group of 4 does crossed in front of me again. I sighted on the largest doe and fired. Hitting her a bit far back in the left lung and penetrating the diaphram and exiting on the right side short ribs. Didn't get the DRT or the blood trail I had hoped for. Had to search the wooded area and finally found the start of a blood trail ~40 yards from where I hit her. Found her ~another 70 yards further away and down-hill as the property slopes down to the north. Bye the time I had field dressed her, bagged the guts, hauled her into my truck, and got cleaned up some, it was nearly noon. ( I have never been fast and 4 years into parkinsons, I am much less "fast".) I figured the chances of seeing anything moving at mid day was pretty slim. So I grabbed 3 magazines and a bottle of Gatorade and was expecting a slow afternoon of reading and snoozing.
I stared to settle back into the blind and was in the process of cracking the cap on the gatorade when I noticed movement 30 yards out. A lone deer with antlers! The rack was unimpressive and the body on the smallish side, but I figured I probably wouldn't see another buck this season so I figured I had better take the shot. I set down the gatorade, and picked up my CVA Wolf and accidentally CLACKED it somewhat LOUDLY against my shooting sticks. Got that buck's attention right away. He swung his gaze on me and I froze. Apparently he didn't recognize me as a threat because he resumed his grazing (or doe sniffing). So I scrunched a little further down in my seat, finished raising and shouldering my rifle, slowed my breathing,and acquired that perfect sight picture (half-way up the body and just behind the shoulder). Upon shooting, 2 unusual things occurred; the blind shook violently and the deer Dropped Right There. Did I mention that when I got back into the blind that I slouched down in the chair to start with? And then more-so after clacking the sticks. The next thing I noticed straight away was a new hole in the front apron and a mangled apron hoop. Next, the buck was thrashing about on the ground so I had to dispatch him with my pistol. See pictures 2 & 3.

09_little_buck_2.jpg

09_little_buck_3.jpg

What must have happened after scooching down in the seat, is the barrel was looking at the blind's front apron hoop while the scope had a clear view of that broadside buck: that perfect shot was deflected ~18" up and left, striking the deer in the neck, paralyzing him.
Dumb on my part, and luck or the grace of God that the deflected bullet still slew the elusive whitetail. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

ps: CVA Wolf with HDY 45c, 300g XTP w/ CR sabot, over 90g of T7, and CCI primer. No problems with the T7 crud ring at this powder level.

pps: if someone can help me get my pictures to post, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'd rater be lucky than good any day. Lots less stress that way !!!

Sounds like an opening day you won't soon forget. Congrats.

Good story! Thanks for sharing. Take everything off the links from the question mark back (just past the jpg) and they will come up. You will still need the on each end.

blind

Got to love those chair blinds. My friend was shooting his flintlock in one.About smothered him when he set it off on a deer. Good story, perfect place to relax, watch deer and pick and chose which you want.

Great deer and a real nice hunt. You make it sound easy, and we all know that's not always true.
Now you have a permanent gun port to shoot from! :lol:
Happy eating.

jascoesens said:
Busta,

Thanks for the help.

jascoesens,

Your very welcome. Look's kinda like you are hunting on a fairway, didn't have anyone play through on you, did ya? :wink: :lol:

Is that your buck laying just to the right of that brushy bulge on the left side in the first pic?

Latest posts

Back