New Chrony

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spit

Gosh! that one does not even look real! But if it works, and it is dependable and reliable who cares what it looks like...

Looks kinda gimmicky to me Spit... That chronograph has been "expected in stock xx/xx/xxxx" for I don't know how long.. PERSONALLY I'd stick with tried and true...

Spit,

Hard to tell, since there really is no track record. A direct hit from a sabot may or may not do damage. Are the sky screen risers made of plastic? I am sure if RCBS is putting their name on it, it SHOULD be a decent unit, but you just never know. It only has a one year warranty and records 100 shots. I think you will have to do all of your shot string calculations (high, low, average, number of shots, standard deviation and extreme spread) yourself. It does look cool, but can it be used without the sky screens, something you may want shooting saboted bullets. Read the features and reviews on each type and brand. I swear I have seen that bullet shaped chrono somewhere before, it may just be another company that wants the RCBS name on their unit?

I have the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital, it has a proven track record, and several options. Indoor light kit, remote control, printer, computer software, debris shield, and probably a couple I am forgetting. I use mine without the sky screens as long as it is not in direct sunlight. I also have the debris shield, which could be made very easily with a piece of Lexan/Plexi-Glass from the hardware store. You will want this shooting sabots, but I couldn't find it anywhere other than at the company. It is only made for paintballs, but works for sabots so far. If you do use the sky screens, there is a big window to shoot through. These are made in Illinois, just across the muddy creek from you. Read the reviews on them all at places that sell them. The model records 9 shot stringsHere is a link to Midsouth, there is 41 reviews and it has a rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.

This Chronograph measures velocities between 22 and 7000 feet per second, records 9 strings of fire with review of 99 shots each and computes statistics for each string (high, low, average, number of shots, standard deviation and extreme spread).

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=852429

Read the Reviews. Especially read the couple that are not 5 stars and the resolution, they were 3 years ago. I'm sure there have been some improvements since then.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Ma...dex&productId=5334&route=PRECISIONEERED+SHOOT

hey, it's Precisioneered! 8)

81190.jpg

Spit

did some more checking on your RCBS chrono... the whole chrono is in the bullet shaped nose, I guess that is why you do not see any sensor eyes in the body under the sky screens - which appear also to be fake.

Then they are packed into to shell for storage...

Check this link - scroll down the page...

http://glarp.atk.com/2007/2007_NewProdu ... PS2007.pdf

Actually the more I read about it - it really does offer some enhancements... like you remove the read out portion and it has a 20' cord so the read-out and it controls are right on your shooting bench. So now the sky screens are not fake and there must be sensors as well as other electronics in the shell portion... interesting

Think I will stay with the pro-chrono for now at least

I just liked that cheesy look!!!

Kinda reminds me of the star ship Enterprise. After all, I'm only 6 miles from Riverside Iowa, the future birthplace of Captain James T. Kirk.

Trek days were awesome this year.

If it is from RCBS, it will be a good unit. I would bet that you would be completely satisfied with it.

I don't like the shooting area. It is too small and area. Take from one that knows how easy it is to shoot your chronograph. Been there and done that.

Though as stated before, RCBS is a reputable company and puts out good stuff.

Well it is a different looking thing. I have never owned a Chronograph. I ordered one once and it went on back order, I did not receive it, and I never bothered to order one after that.

There are a lot of people that gather a lot of information from them. But my concern is accuracy, plain and simple. Most of the average loads we shoot are more then enough to take game. So if it is accurate, then all I have to worry about is shot placement.

But I do understand how people use the chronograph to get the most out of a projectile. An easy way to find diminished returns on powder. It will be interesting to see how it works for you Spit.

But my concern is accuracy, plain and simple. Most of the average loads we shoot are more then enough to take game. So if it is accurate, then all I have to worry about is shot placement.

Works for me too.

An easy way to find diminished returns on powder

Sometimes I shoot my muzzleloader at the end of legal hunting hours. The target is usually a rock. My TC Encore shows absolutely no muzzle flash with two Pyrodex pellets or 110 Grains of Pyrodex RS and the 250 grain SST/Shockwave bullet. Boost the charge to three pellets or 120 grains of Pyrodex RS and there is a muzzle flash 4-6' long.

Boost the charge to three pellets or 120 grains of Pyrodex RS and there is a muzzle flash 4-6' long.

Like this???????

muzzleflash.jpg

I love making smoke!!!!

You too can shoot groups like this....
group_big.jpg

Here' the secret>>>

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

>>
>>
>
>
>
cheating.jpg

Stand Closer!!!! :lol:

Spit

Your humor bone has got the best of you with this last post....

ya da man!

Chief and UC whut rya gonna do?

I've been waiting on the punchline since this thread started...... :lol: :lol:

Spit,,,,,yer a wreck... :lol: :lol: :wink:

Busta said:
Spit,

Hard to tell, since there really is no track record. A direct hit from a sabot may or may not do damage. Are the sky screen risers made of plastic? I am sure if RCBS is putting their name on it, it SHOULD be a decent unit, but you just never know. It only has a one year warranty and records 100 shots. I think you will have to do all of your shot string calculations (high, low, average, number of shots, standard deviation and extreme spread) yourself. It does look cool, but can it be used without the sky screens, something you may want shooting saboted bullets. Read the features and reviews on each type and brand. I swear I have seen that bullet shaped chrono somewhere before, it may just be another company that wants the RCBS name on their unit?

I have the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital, it has a proven track record, and several options. Indoor light kit, remote control, printer, computer software, debris shield, and probably a couple I am forgetting. I use mine without the sky screens as long as it is not in direct sunlight. I also have the debris shield, which could be made very easily with a piece of Lexan/Plexi-Glass from the hardware store. You will want this shooting sabots, but I couldn't find it anywhere other than at the company. It is only made for paintballs, but works for sabots so far. If you do use the sky screens, there is a big window to shoot through. These are made in Illinois, just across the muddy creek from you. Read the reviews on them all at places that sell them. The model records 9 shot stringsHere is a link to Midsouth, there is 41 reviews and it has a rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.

This Chronograph measures velocities between 22 and 7000 feet per second, records 9 strings of fire with review of 99 shots each and computes statistics for each string (high, low, average, number of shots, standard deviation and extreme spread).

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=852429

Read the Reviews. Especially read the couple that are not 5 stars and the resolution, they were 3 years ago. I'm sure there have been some improvements since then.
Busta,
That sounds like a good set-up. I have one of the old CHRONY's. If I replace it, this prochrono digital will probably be it. I often read the customer reviews on a product on Midways site. Great way to get feel for something used by shooters/hunters.

As far as RCBS, they do have a great rep. i have used their reloading stuff for years.I have two of their elctronic scales. They are both made in China by Excell. I hated to see that but they(RCBS) assured me they meet their quality standards. I think Busta said the PROCHRONO is made in ILL. I'm not sure if this new RCBS chronograh will be chinese made or usa.

I like the nose cone...Looks like that shape may deflect sabots well.

Back