Knight MHC barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterken

Reaction score
If any one has a Disc Extreme that came with the MHC barrel, what seems to shoot well? The barel seems tighter than the one in my Disc Elite. I tried my Disc Elite loads with little luck.

120 grs and 290gr barnes TMZ with the non easy loading sabots.

MHC

I tried the 285 grain Barnes with the yellow sabots. They were loadable with effort. Tried 110 gr. 2F 777. Not great group, maybe 2.5-3" at 100 yards.

The Knight USS 250 gr PBT/Barnes TMZ in the yellow sabots work best in mine.

018-1.jpg

Here are the first three groups with that bullet and three different volumes of Blackhorn 209 powder in my MHC.

100 grains
007-4.jpg

110 grains
022-1.jpg

120 grains
021-1.jpg

Not too shabby with the 250 gr Shockwave either.
006-4.jpg

MHC

Very impressive groups. Is this with the Non plastic jacket standard breech plug? Are you weighing your BH? If so, what are the correspondin wts to volumes. Thanks for your reply. I can see what it is capable of!

MHC

I tried the 250 g. shockwave with the black sabot and found it very difficult to load. The yellow sabots loaded much better. How did you feel about yours?

I use the NFPJ Conversion. I started weighing the charges when I first started shooting BH209, but found it meters real well and is not necessary IMO. With my measures and scales 100 gr VOLUME BH209 = 69 gr WEIGHT. YMMV.

007-5.jpg

011-4.jpg

Most of the bullets load pretty firm in this rifle, but it's hard to argue with the results. It absolutely hates the new BLUE sabots that Knight now packages with the bullets. Luckily Barnes still packages them with the YELLOW sabots.

With the flat based Shockwave/SST, you can use several different sabots. The black Harvester Crush Rib might be one for you to try, they work quite well in my rifles.

hunterken

I have two of the late run MHC barrels. You might look very closely at the crown on the barrel - both of mine were not cut square and did effect accuracy.

I am not sure or certain of this statement - but I really believe that late run of Extreme's with the MHC barrels was a run using barrels that had not met the standards of the orginal MHC quality control. Remember they were guaranteed to shoot a certain sized group @ 100. Now that I have wrote this do not get me wrong - the barrels are good and if there is a crown problem they can be fixed to be as good as the originals - Knight will even do it for you.

After I re-crowned mine - they shoot anything great. Really does not matter much what I load into them. I did run a 100 strokes of JB's in both bores and I am now able to load the normal sabots...and projectile combinations with out much difference between them and my Elite...

NBC

Thanks for the info. I'mnot familiar with JB you ran down the barrel. What is it and how do you examine the crown to see if it is an issue?

Latest posts

Back