Browning question....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatlander.54

Reaction score
First off let me say that in my short time enjoying this forum, I have found the members here have been most helpful and the fellowship most friendly. I have been a member on another larger forum for several years and I have to say it's much more friendly over here.
I plan on making my first attempt at browning a barrel soon, on my .45 T/C Hawken.
This is the gun I got in a trade recently with the long brass tube scope on it. Well, the scope itself works fine, but the mounts do not allow for adjustment of any type worth messing with unfortunately, cant adjust it enough to even touch a 3' square target at 30 yards. So, until I can make my own mounts from brass stock someday the scope is going on the backburner.
Im going to fill the screw-holes with the proper size oval head machine screws, peen them over and blend them in. Then comes the browning of the barrel. I have already decided on Laurel Mountain Browning solution for this, but was wondering if any of you have ever tried to brown the lock on a T/C which is color case hardened? Will the browning take on color case hardened steel? Seems to me there should be no problem, but then again I've never browned anything before. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thaks fellas.

you have a 50/50 shot at the lock taking the browning. I know of coreys lock i ended up leaving it natural silver color. The case color hardening kept popping up when i would put the browning solution on.

Hmm...see I kinda wondered if that might happen. What kind of metal prep did you do to the lock beforehand?

Im planning on using Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust remover to remove the bluing on the barrel before I scuff it with 220 grit paper. Dont know how it would work on the lock though. Its good stuff, I used it on an old rusty Colt Frontier single action .22 onetime...looked like it was made of stainless afterwards.

Latest posts

Back