Shot Snake

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freedom

Reaction score
I just made up this shot snake for my little Howdah and thought you guys might like to see it. No strap yet because it holds about 50oz' of #6 shot. I think I'll make a smaller one for field use.

I used a Pronghorn Antelope horn for the spout, the end plug, and 1oz measure. I sure like the look that antelope horn gives.
I braided sinew for the keeper strings. The measure string is needled through the leather and knotted so I can draw it up next to the snake so it's not hanging down to get caught up on things.
I made the skrim powder horn a while back with an antler 40gr measure. It works well for the Diablo. (And yes it is a muzzleloader) Just need to get some elkhorn grips and forend made for it.
attachment.php

Last edited:
That would make a good container for your firearm when testing but way to large for in the field. The biggest problem we have found is carrying way to much ammo and accessories which we never get around to using.

Carry just what is needed, maybe 3-4 loads is normally enough in most hunting, leave the extra in your vehicle/camp to refill if needed. We all seem to make ourselves "pack mules" and then find we may have only shot a few times.
I would rather carry an extra apple (I'll eat that up and the remains will treat a wild animal when found). :coffee:

buck conner.jpg

I agree with Buck. I made a "powder horn" out of a piece of bamboo a few years ago. Since I didn't need another horn (in reality) I thought it would make a nice shot carrier. But when I filled it up it felt like a dumbbell! I need to come up with something much smaller, say, 6 to 8 ounces.

Shot snake and powder horn I made up some years back for my 10 ga. dbl. I didn't need to make it so big as at 1/3 full, it's all I want to tote for any length of time. Did make a smaller one for the 12 ga. flint shotgun with simple spout,
Photo on 4-30-20 at 1.45 PM #2.jpg

Shot snake and powder horn I made up some years back for my 10 ga. dbl. I didn't need to make it so big as at 1/3 full, it's all I want to tote for any length of time. Did make a smaller one for the 12 ga. flint shotgun with simple spout,
View attachment 1940

Very nice shot snake - I sympathize with the size/weight dilemna too...that darned shot can be as heavy as LEAD!

It mostly just hangs up now. I started pre loading paper shot and powder charges and putting the cards and wads loose in the pouch. If I dove hunt with the dbl., may use it though.

Back