Your Thoughts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scramble

Reaction score
I've never hunted with a muzzleloader and wifey is getting me one for Father's Day. Can you experts turn me on to a good 50cal in line please?

thanks
scramble

Knight

I've been reading a lot of good things about the Knight KRB Rolling Block Rifle.

scramble

I've never hunted with a muzzleloader and wifey is getting me one for Father's Day. Can you experts turn me on to a good 50cal in line please?

That is the way it started for me, never huntig with a ML, well now it is a disease you will never shake.... Get one and enjoy it...

'turn me on to a good 50 cal ML.... that is a huge open ended question... personal bias will abound here.

If it were me I would easily suggest a new TC Triumph, since they are not making the best ones anymore, like the Knight 'nimrodder' showed you, or even me old favorite the Remington 700 ML or one of the very good White's.

The Triumph is a new generation of TC's very sucessful Omega. It is very simple to operate and to clean. It will shoot all the substitue powders including the new BH-209 and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Good luck in your search..

Re: Knight

scramble said:
I've been reading a lot of good things about the Knight KRB Rolling Block Rifle.

+1 on the Roll Block. Finally went out and shot mine. Best purchase I've ever made in a ML. Love everything about it. But like sabotloader said everyone will have an opinion.

I just picked up my first ML myself. Actually, I am waiting for it to arrive by mail.

I was looking at the Triumph and liked it a lot. My only issue was that it seems to be designed to shoot will a scope rather than with open sights. This was a deal breaker for me since I plan on using a peep sight (no scope) for at least my first season. Although the supplied sights on the Triumph seem decent, there was no way the stock comb would allow me to get my head low enought to see through a rear sight that would be placed closer to the breach.

I also liked the rolling block a lot. My only "concern" was its apparent issues shooting BH 209 propellant. It is unclear whether Knight will ever get this resolved and I want to keep my options open.

Settled on an Omega X7. Time will tell if I made a good choice. The recommendation I was given was to get to the stores and throw the various models on your shoulder to see which ones feel good.

Knight and BH 209 propellant

Are you saying the Knight Rolling Block can't use BH 209 propellant??

scramble

I think it can but there are some issues with the current BP and BH. The best thing might be to call Knight and ask them. They are really easy to talk to. The other thing you might do is PM 'underclocked' he had one and has a ton of information about them.

Re: Knight and BH 209 propellant

scramble said:

Keep in mind I have NO practical experience with the Knight Rolling Block. That being said, if you do a search for "Knight Rolling Block" and "BH 209," quite a few threads come up concering the issue. To date, it does not seem that Knight has resolved this.

krb also is set up for a scope. I had to really plant my cheek into the stock in order for the sights to come into view.

For your first muzzleloader, I don't think you could go wrong with either the Thompson Center Triumph, or the Thompson Center Omega. Simple and dependable. What more could you want? Personally I like the Omega better, but If you find a good deal on either one, go for it!

BH 209 propellant

I emailed the Knight company about the Rolling Block using BH 209 propellant. I'll let everyone know what the company reports.

scramble

Here is the word from Gordy Edwards at Knight Firearms

From shooting the BH 209 powder you will need to use one of the hotter primers, probably the Remington or CCI magnum to ignite BH properly but they will all work in the Rolling Block. Hope this helps, thanks.

Not sure if it has sold or not but Flint has a KRB for sale cheap in the classified section. Camo/Stainless

Back