Shooting my Lyman Great Plains Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to finally get out today, to get the postal match shot.... first time since shoulder surgery on Dec 9th... weather mostly, but my doctor finally raised the weight limit for me to 10 lbs in the left arm. I'll report back later today. :thumbs up:

I'm going to finally get out today, to get the postal match shot.... first time since shoulder surgery on Dec 9th... weather mostly, but my doctor finally raised the weight limit for me to 10 lbs in the left arm. I'll report back later today. :thumbs up:
Cool vid...It's all about the smoke cloud! đź‘Ť

I liked that video; I never tire of watching them fire smoke and flame. I know shoulder pain. About 24 years ago I had major surgery on both shoulders, not at the same time of course. Had one done with a recovery period of a year or so. After that one I had the other shoulder fixed. Basically 2 years of recuperation and gained nearly 80% use of them. I've had to cut back and/or eliminate many things I used to do and still cannot do. But the pain, weakness and functional disability before the surgery simply could not be tolerated.

Cough Cough Cough.........

I've read the smoke from that powder smells like crapola?

Cough Cough Cough.........

I've read the smoke from that powder smells like crapola?

I got a hold of some Goex 3F that I used yesterday, and it doesn't smell any better.... but when I can shoot like this, I just walk away with a big smile on my face.

Attachments

• Buffalo Target.jpg
    Buffalo Target.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 42
I got a hold of some Goex 3F that I used yesterday, and it doesn't smell any better.... but when I can shoot like this, I just walk away with a big smile on my face.
That's an awesome group! Can you share your load details with us for that target?

Goex smells like powder. Most traditional muzzleloaders love that smell.
I didn't say I didn't like, just said it doesn't smell any better :D

That's an awesome group! Can you share your load details with us for that target?

Marty after shooting the Postal Target, I had to sit and use a rest... my shoulder surgery still isn't healed. My loads were 60.0 gr of 3F at 25 yards, patched .530 round ball.

I have no idea what the Aliant powder smells like. I read an article that compared it to Goex and I remember him saying that the Aliant really stunk bad.

I know a lot of guys who don't like the smell of real BP. A lot of those use inlines and have no problem using the sub powders. Although, a big crowd of sidelock shooters will use the subs too.

I'm old school and won't use anything but real powder in sidelocks. However, everyone is free to use anything they want.

It all stinks. From smelling like a labradors fart to a kid peeing in the campfire thinking it is funny. As long as it is accurate I don't care. You did real well. Very nice shooting.

It all stinks. From smelling like a labradors fart to a kid peeing in the campfire thinking it is funny. As long as it is accurate I don't care. You did real well. Very nice shooting.

Yep, after shooting I cleaned there and put the dirty patches in the back of my SUV.... oh that rotten smell coming from the back, I thought someone took a crap back there :D Got rid of those dirty patches when I got home, my SUV still sticks like rotten eggs.

Why does anyone care what the powder smells like as long as it does the job at hand?! I am starting to find that the older folks get the more they turn things like(cleaning a gun, ballistics, bullet size, and weight, and just about everything else) in to rocket science. It's not.

The smell of black powder in firearms never bothered me and I've always liked the smell of both smokeless and black powder. I'm sure it comes from all the wonderful, warm and contented feelings of being in the woods with some kind of gun. Ever since I was a kid simply reading Outdoor Life and Boy's Life back in the 1950s was "rapturous". And getting out and roaming only reenforced it. Sense of smell is the sense most directly connected to the brain. Smell is primal and brings back memories and, especially, emotions that are stronger and more vivid that those conjured up by any of the other senses.

The smell of black powder in firearms never bothered me and I've always liked the smell of both smokeless and black powder. I'm sure it comes from all the wonderful, warm and contented feelings of being in the woods with some kind of gun. Ever since I was a kid simply reading Outdoor Life and Boy's Life back in the 1950s was "rapturous". And getting out and roaming only reenforced it. Sense of smell is the sense most directly connected to the brain. Smell is primal and brings back memories and, especially, emotions that are stronger and more vivid that those conjured up by any of the other senses.
You said it all Hanshi....

Black powder really is odiferous when shot?

I've never noticed.
It might help that the prevailing winds have always been a tail-wind or quartering tailwind, and not blowing in my face, I suppose.

I've heard "people" say it smells like rotten eggs.
There are far worst smells than that. A freshly fertilized (with residue of cow) corn field, and bologna and hot dogs, for two. :)

Sulfur makes BP have a distinct smell love it reminds me of all my muzzloader days just like diesel exhaust, year other the road working my dad. Smells are great memory stimuli.

Latest posts

Back