Michigan nimrod here

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitepowder

Reaction score
Hi all, just joined this forum. Looks like a neat place.

I have lived back and forth from the UP to the SLP. Have hunted quite a bit all over the state. My best action has (no surprise) been in the SLP in Jackson, Calhoun and Lenawee counties. Lots of deer and lots of nice bucks.

Eight year "veteran" of muzzleloading. Love it!

No, the term "nimrod" is archaic and refers to a hunter. It's more than just the nickname of the now-famous school in the western UP! lol

I'm from the eastern end originally, and have moved south, north, south and soon to be north again in the past several years.

How far from the Soo are you? I'm originally from that area.

Welcome, This is a great place for the ML enthusiast.

How far from the Soo are you?
I'm about a half hour from the Soo, west of Rudyard. I used to live on the western end of the UP in Houghton county so I knew alot of Nimrods

HawgHunter said:
How far from the Soo are you?
I'm about a half hour from the Soo, west of Rudyard. I used to live on the western end of the UP in Houghton county so I knew alot of Nimrods

Trout Lake, Fibre, Dryburg? Used to be a good number of deer down that way but not so much anymore it seems.

I'm about half way between Dryburg and Fibre if that seems possible. :shock:

Deer numbers are down in this area like the rest of the UP. Two bad winters and high predators have taken their toll. I did manage to luck into a nice 3 1/2 year old 8pt in ML season. No doe tags are available for the new DMU that is out our way, we got lumped into the federal land. The DNR shot itself in the foot on this one since deer numbers bounce back real quick in this AG area but that's another story.

I'm about half way between Dryburg and Fibre if that seems possible. :shock:

Deer numbers are down in this area like the rest of the UP. Two bad winters and high predators have taken their toll. I did manage to luck into a nice 3 1/2 year old 8pt in ML season. No doe tags are available for the new DMU that is out our way, we got lumped into the federal land. The DNR shot itself in the foot on this one since deer numbers bounce back real quick in this AG area but that's another story.

My buddy has 80 acres of property over by Stalwart that we hunt. And like you say the numbers are way down in that area.

DC

minst7877 said:
My buddy has 80 acres of property over by Stalwart that we hunt. And like you say the numbers are way down in that area.

DC

Generally the Pickford/Goetzville/Stalwart area has piles of deer. I recall taking a ride through the farms there several years back and counting 500 deer including a couple of piebalds. However, I haven't been through there in a while, except on motorcycle...at which time I really hoped NOT to see any deer!

Latest posts

Back