Shooting a "Mountain Rifle" Made by Tom Watson

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
Shooting a "Mountain Rifle" Made by Tom Watson

It has a 1" Sharon Barrel stamped with the name on the top flat and a heavily striped stock. It was stained such that the stripe appears to be almost iridescent, and changes in the sun. The final finish is many coats of Tru-Oil. The weight is 9.6 lb. The Lock is an L & R  with an L & R double set trigger.
esJBjl.jpg

l0XQmt.jpg

RYGZd9.jpg

u893Cw.jpg

I shot at 50 yds and 100 yds using 490 balls, 0.015 patches and 60 grains of powder. Most shots were done with my elbows on a shooting table. A few were taken freehand.

I won't post any targets as none were particularly exemplary and I didn't keep them. The key was that I was able to keep all of the 50 yd shoots in the 5" colored target area on 8 x 11" paper using iron sights.
I was able to hit the 8x11" paper at 100 yards with every shot.

No big deal, but it was significant for me. At 50 yds, my eyes can just see the 1" orange bulls eye. It looks like a small dot. At 100 yds, I can see the paper! There is no way with iron sights that I can align the sights on the center of the target because I can just barely resolve the target paper.

It is obvious that the rifle has the potential to shoot better than I can shoot it. It holds remarkably steady, even shooting free hand.

It the ranks among the best shooters I own, with one or two other rifles its approximate equal. If I were to shoot in competition, I would either use the Watson built rifle or an Al Anderson built rifle with peep sights. The peep sights give the Anderson rifle the edge. If I was constrained to use regular iron sights, then I would choose the Watson.
Ron

Re: Shooting a "Mountain Rifle" Made by Tom Watson

What a great rifle Ron.  That's quite the stock too! I can fully appreciate your range report because that's how I see the targets with open sights on a muzzleloader.

Beautiful rifle Ron!

Watson really made a nice rifle, Smokin' Joe. 
The 14.5" length of pull is a little long for me from the measurement, but in reality, it feels very good.
When I get these darn cataracts done, I should be able to see and shoot better.
Ron

That's a good looking rifle. And the range report sounds good, as I under stand you are hitting a 81/2 x 11 paper at 100yds with iron sights. I don't want you shooting at me!!!!! :D :D   

Thats great. I had a cataract on my right eye, few years ago I keep working till I got real good using my left eye with iron sights on my long guns  and my duty pistol. My eye doctor took it off and put in an implant and that really help, went back to using the right again, it felt weird for a while.

To be honest, Huntin Dawg, I was surprised that I could hit the paper at 100 yards. I didn't shoot free hand at the 100 yards, only at 50. Free hand, I probably couldn't hit the 100 yard back stop. Being able to rest my elbows on a bench made all the difference.

I see you are in S.W. VA. We lived in Virginia for 15 years before moving to Colorado. Hunted for turkey on my friends property.
Ron

That is a super nice rifle with a beautiful stock.    i

Last year i could hit a 8" bullseye at 75 yards with muzzleloader open sights.   Have not fired a conventional muzzleloader at 100 yards in many years, perhaps decades.   With conventional muzzleloaders  i like game shots at <50  yards.

Ron that's a beauty, to fancy to hunt with I would be afraid it would get banged up, then I would be sick. :)

My "go to" hunting rifle will likely be a percussion Great Plains Rifle in .54 cal. 
Generally, I don't like to have closet queens, and this Watson rifle will never be that. But mostly it will be used for fun shooting.
I couldn't go hunting this season because my reattached quadriceps wasn't yet ready to handle rough, uneven surfaces for any significant distance. I should be ready for next year's season. At least that is my goal.
Ron

I see these posts and keep thinking, Boy, sure wish I lived closer so I could shoot, too! 

Ron and I share a dislike of closet queen rifles. I only like them when I am buying. 8)

But Ron doesnt have a closet for his rifles. Rons gun room is an airport hanger Colonel. Those guns just hang around for regular fly bys.

Do you mean like this:
qwAGqZ.jpg

Looks like some fun for target shooting, Hey lets have a shoot in Golden CO.  :shock:   :roll:   :lol:

I wonder if theres any relation between a shotgun maker I have found? K Watson.

Latest posts

Back