Weighing Powder charges

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
I did some measuring today with Pyrodex RS and heres the Weighed Powder charges.

50gr (Volume) = 37.6 Grains by WEIGHT.

60gr (Volume) = 43.6 Grains by WEIGHT.

70gr (Volume) = 49 Grains by WEIGHT.

80gr (Volume) = 56.2 Grains by WEIGHT.

90gr (Volume) = 62.8 Grains by WEIGHT.

100gr (Volume) = 68.4 Grains by WEIGHT.

110gr (Volume) = 75.8 Grains by WEIGHT.

120gr (Volume) = 82.6 Grains by WEIGHT.

Does this all sound right?

Thats interesting as I get very much the same with BH209 right at 68gr weight for 100gr volume on a measure calibrated with 3f black. Lee

It shows that your measure is not extremely consistent. You are getting these weights per grain of volume:

50 gr charge = .752 gr wt to 1 gr volume
60 gr charge = .727 gr wt to 1 gr volume
70 gr charge = .700 gr wt to 1 gr volume
80 gr charge = .702 gr wt to 1 gr volume
90 gr charge = .698 gr wt to 1 gr volume
100 gr charge = .684 gr wt to 1 gr volume
110 gr charge = .689 gr wt to 1 gr volume
120 gr charge = .683 gr wt to 1 gr volume

If you take an average of .70 gr wt to 1 gr of volume, your measure is off about 10% at the extremes.

It would be interesting to set your measure to 100 gr and throw 5 charges and weigh them and get average. Then set measure to 120 gr and repeat, then go back to 100 gr and repeat. See how close the second set of 100 gr charges is to the first set.

This is why I weigh all of my charges on a scale. Flyers are not near as common as they were.

AJ, your observation is what I was going to post. :)

50 grains volumetric should weigh 1/2 what 100 grains volumetric does.

Your volume measure sucks, FG. :wink:

What this tells me is.That this Volume Type Powder measure that FG used is not so accurate in it's INDEXING scale of the Powder Measure.I am sure that this Powder Measure he use is not the only one like this. and more of a reason to use a Weight Type Scale,if nothing else but to check behind ones self sometimes
Boy the things one learns just by listening in,LOL

Underclocked said:
AJ, your observation is what I was going to post. :)

50 grains volumetric should weigh 1/2 what 100 grains volumetric does.

Your volume measure sucks, FG. :wink:

Figures, TC made it :lol:

I'll go get a couple others right now and try them.

just used one that came with a cabelas hawken, It measured out 50gn vol. @ 37.2 grains by weight.

Just used 3 other powder measures and each one gave the same reading.

frontier gander said:
just used one that came with a cabelas hawken, It measured out 50gn vol. @ 37.2 grains by weight.

Just used 3 other powder measures and each one gave the same reading.

I believe consistancy is what you are looking for. As long as your charges are the same,shoot and adjust for desired POI,all should be cool

Charlie

FG, use those other measures and do 100 grains volumetric - that will tell you whether they are any better.

UC i just used the 2 other measures and it increased a few grains.

Originally 100gr vol. was 68.4 - With these other two measures one is 71.2 and the other throws 72.2 The measure with the click adjuster threw the heaviest.

"The measure with the click adjuster threw the heaviest."

That is the one that has the scaling most accurate of the bunch then.

measuring

I have tap measured my loads for a couple years now. In other words using the TC View set at whatever grain filled to the line, tapped it down and filled for level. Are you guys saying you will get that much more accuracy from weighing each charge than someone doing it my way. I shoot 1 " MOA I touch holes at 50 yards, why go that extra step to weigh?

I was just mainly playing with the new scale. I wanted to see how accurate the measure was throwing my charges. 1 out of 3 tubes is usually a tiny bit heavier.

I'll see how the new 58 does with all 3 charges weighing the same. Also polished the patch box on it lastnight, Darn fingers hurt.

Re: measuring

papines said:
I have tap measured my loads for a couple years now. In other words using the TC View set at whatever grain filled to the line, tapped it down and filled for level. Are you guys saying you will get that much more accuracy from weighing each charge than someone doing it my way. I shoot 1 " MOA I touch holes at 50 yards, why go that extra step to weigh?

Some people who reload and / or shoot competition weigh their powder for consistancy from shot to shot. Personally I don't need to be that percise and most others don't either. I think some may like to thinker with it which is all good.

Does anyone else use a reloading style powder measure to throw their charges? I just drop 777 into lane's tubes, and I'm good to go. Works like a charm.

5alarm435 said:
Does anyone else use a reloading style powder measure to throw their charges? I just drop 777 into lane's tubes, and I'm good to go. Works like a charm.
Yes, myself and several others do. Lee

Yep, I use a Lyman 1200 DPS III. It's a powder measure, trickler, and scale all in one package. I calibrate the scale, punch in the weight I want and hit enter. When its done, I dump it in a tube from Lane and hit go again. By the time I have the cap on and get another tube ready, the measure is done. Its a quick and super accurate process.

AJ,

I just Googled your scale/dispenser. That thing is sweet.

So are you strictly measuring by weight?

Back