sharpening small chisels

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucky182

Reaction score
OK, another Newbie question. I am rounding up some tools based on the list you all gave me. Got several old small chisels from my dads old tools he left me and some I had. All are going to need some work to make them useable. But hey learn on the free stuff! LOL I ordered a chisel jig but these smaller ones do not fit in it. Either shank is to short or too thin or both? So what is my best option to sharpen them. I have several wet stones and a three sided stone for knives. I am also going to try the sand paper plexi-glass method I saw on YOUTUBE. Trying to keep it on the low budget side as I am just starting out.

What would be your recommendations on how to sharpen these old girls? I plan on squaring the backs and a couple might need to hit the bench grinder ugh hopefully can make a good guide and plan on setting grinder guide to about 25 degrees. I hope that is right. Any and all help would be very much appreciated.
Thank You
Art

Thanks Undead Poet. Decided to skip the grinder as I would probably make worse much faster. Worked on two tonight got their sides level and started re-shaping the cutting side. They are actually starting to look better used the sharpie to help with getting high and low spots out. Going to go finer tomorrow hopefully than just a three sided wet stone tonight.

Latest posts

Back