NEWBIE to this smokeless stuff

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjhans53

Reaction score
I just picked up a "never fired" ML 11 from a shop in Ga, I thought I got a deal a stainless ML 11 in a sythetic stock, 2 packs of sabots, 5 vent liners for four and a quarter out the door. It's is the one before the accu trigger (bummer) the trigger is a little heaver than what I like but it's clean and it will do just fine. I've toyed for a couple of days on what to use for powder loads, I finally got that using fired 7 x 57 cases and push on erasers, they pop when you pull them off so I figure they should be "air tight". Question how many of you guys that hunt leave a smokeless charge in over night and how many change the charge everyday.
Thanks
Ron

inhunting season i load and leave it unless we get wet clint

I leave my gun loaded during the hunting season and only unload it when the season is over. This has never caused a problem with ignition.

I leave it in for the whole season (10 days) unless its real bad outside.
I do not take it in the house though. Here in Wi. it can get qiute cold in Nov./Dec
Redclub

Arkansas has two muzzleloading seasons that are about 60 days apart. My gun stays loaded from the first day in Oct to the last day of the season in December. I've had ZERO problems. I never even had any problems in the early days when I used IMR 4227. I might shoot it out only if the gun got wet but that would be the only time, of course as with anything to each his own. :)

schoolmaster said:
I leave my gun loaded during the hunting season and only unload it when the season is over. This has never caused a problem with ignition.
Same here! So far, so good with no problems whatsoever.

Redclub said:
I leave it in for the whole season ...

I do both, but more often than not, I leave it. I live in town, and I certainly am not going to shoot my gun out in an area where I'm hoping the deer never know I've been, so if I unload, I have to do it on a deer, go the range (i.e., miss hunting time), or push the load out through the breech--and that's a pain.

If you plan to leave it in, I would load and leave it (sans primer) for a week, then go to the range and check POI at least a couple of times before deer season and make sure your gun and load combo/loading methods are reliable after being left for a period of time.

DW, my book says 4227 is ok but it's not posted on savages website though, Is there something I should know.
Ron

rjhans53 said:
DW, my book says 4227 is ok but it's not posted on savages website though, Is there something I should know.
Ron

When the Savage first came out 4227 was one of the first approved powders but it can be hard to ignite in certain situations so Savage doesn't list it anymore. N110, 4759 and 5744 are much better suited powders. :wink:

Back