...Serial number part 2........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer1

Reaction score
:D

Just spoke to the Chicago Branch of the ATF and after I explained my question to an investigator, I was told that black powder and antique firearms don't fall into the same catagory with regular firearms...............

Ray......... ;)

Your right, the ATF does not consider them regulated firearms and that is the reason why they can be mailed without an FFL.

Yet, a felon still can't own one. They need to make up their mind. Is it a gun or not?

I guess I don't really have a problem with a felon not being allowed to own a muzzleloader. I will probably get flamed for this but owell. I also like that fact that muzzleloaders are not regulated either so this works for me. Seems somewhat balanced.

My understanding is that a felon can own a bow and they cannot posses a firearm or ammo. I have a family friend that is a felon and checked before because he still wants to hunt and he is allowed.

Actually, come to think of it I believe some states allow felons to use a muzzleloader under certain conditions. I believe one of those conditions is is can't be a 209 ignition because a felon cannot have 209 primers.

Not in Colorado Chad. A felon here can't hunt or own any weapon. Which includes a bow. Even if the gun was a true antique that was made 150 years ago,

Okay but that is your individual state law and doesn't mean that is a federal law all the way across the board. Like I said "some states allow." And also, even if a particular state allows something the parole officer may not based on his or her evaluation.

Yeah, there's a lot of grey areas. Best for a felon to know what applies for him.

A convicted felon can own a muzzleloader. However with that said if he owns a muzzleloader he cannot use 209 primers. They are considered part of ammunition and a felon cannot own ammunition. A felon with a ML must use #11 caps for ignition. They are legal for a felon to have and use. Also a felon cannot have or use real black powder, he must use Pyrodex, T7 or pellets.
Now also with that said he must check the individual state laws as some state do not allow a felon to have or possess a ML even tho the feds say he can. So be carewful if you are going to do it.
I just completed an investigation for a felon and this info comes directly from ATF.

Rogo

Yeah, the bottom line is what the state says. Colorado is strict. No weapons of any kind. That's from the DOW.

The laws come down the line. Federal obviously trumps anything the state has but if a federal law allows something that's not to say the state can not allow it. It all comes down to complying with Federal and State laws. Like in this discussion, Federal law allows certain things but when it comes down to the State they may not allow it. On the other hand, the State may not have a certain regulation of something but it doesn't really matter if there is a Federal law regulating it. There is no cut and dry answers for some of these things and a felon would be wise to check into the matter thoroughly before.

Maybe Colorado is just taking the easy way out by saying nothing is legal. Who knows?

chaded said:
Your right, the ATF does not consider them regulated firearms and that is the reason why they can be mailed without an FFL.
Once again, you have to check the state laws about shipping MLer's, some states do not allow shipping unless to an FFL dealer. And some retailers will not ship MLer's to any states unless to an FFL.

By ATF law, the original Savage ML1 has to be shipped to an FFL , the MLII does not.

Yep your right. I should of clarified that. There are very few states that require that but there are some nonetheless. Thanks.

johnp034 said:
chaded said:
Once again, you have to check the state laws about shipping MLer's, some states do not allow shipping unless to an FFL dealer. And some retailers will not ship MLer's to any states unless to an FFL.

By ATF law, the original Savage ML1 has to be shipped to an FFL , the MLII does not.
Good points about how state laws differ across the country. Some can be subject to interpretation when it comes to the muzzleloader category, so you need to be carefull before you ship.

Back