Seldom seen period business today.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
When still in business with the muzzleloading store we got involved in the silver jewelry thing (producing 1820-1840 style items, lots of hat band, bracelets, rings, etc.). My partner was an ex Seal Team One member that had learned silversmithing while recovering from his wounds received in Nam. (lost his right hand and forearm, inner ankle bone and had metal throughout his body - that was always a problem with working out). 

I found an original HBC ring at an antique store (molds were made, it was our first silver item sold). It wasn't with Charley Hanson's help and we found samples of early Americas silverwork in local museums he knew of. 

Copies were made and we were off and running (was a good source to off set the muzzleloading business when slow (off seasons). 

On the back of the turtle you can see my partner's sign a "hook" like the silver one he wore at rendezvous and in the store rather than the plastic arm worn when working. Ben Thompson was known as "Captain Hook" at most period events in North America.

img7.jpg

img6.jpg
   In the ancient near East the value of silver to gold being less, allowed a silversmith to produce objects and store these as stock. Wm Ogden states that according to an edict written by Diocletian in 301 A.D., a silversmith was able to charge 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, or 300 denarii for material produce (per Roman pound). At that time, guilds of silversmiths formed to arbitrate disputes, protect its members' welfare and educate the public of the trade.
   Silversmiths in medieval Europe and England formed guilds and transmitted their tools and techniques to new generations via the apprentice tradition. Silver working guilds often maintained consistency and upheld standards at the expense of innovation. Beginning in the 17th century, artisans emigrated to America and experienced fewer restrictions.
   Many of the silversmiths appeared in the colonies performing their craft as a way of making a living, this talent was found in Spain and brought to Mexico with their wares traveling North. A very profitable trade out of Santa Fe in the 1840's.

I still have the mold for the 'HBC' ring, may have to have more cast, but need to check cost of casting, finishing and silver to see if that's reasonable or not.  Hanson had one original factor's ring out of Canada in real gold (don't whether pure or cut with other metals)? 

If you saw one Jonathan you would have to have one.  Watch at rendezvous, you may see an HBC ring someone is wearing that we sold in the late 80's early 90's.   :ttups:

Back