Seasoning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Bought some cast iron cookware today and looked up info in seasoning them. I just had to laugh at the thought of bore butter, seasioning a gun barrel! For the skillets i bought today, you have to lightly coat them in canola oil, then put them intoan oven for 1 hour at 500 degrees! my first try was successful! So much for bore butter seasioning your bore while you shoot!

" lightly coat them in canola oil, then put them into an oven for 1 hour at 500 degrees " Canola Oil was invented in 1978, the word “Canola” was invented to describe a new type of oilseed that was selectively bred from the original rapeseed to have significantly less erucic acid. This new oil was first developed in Canada, and the name Canola actually comes from the term, Canadian oil, low acid. There are both edible and industrial forms produced from the seed of any of several cultivars of the plant family Brassicareae, namely cultivars of Brassica napus. According to the Canola Council of Canada, an industry association, the official definition of canola is "Seeds of the genus Brassica (Brassica napus, Brassica rapa, or Brassica juncea) from which the oil shall contain less than 2% erucic acid in its fatty acid profile and the solid component shall contain less than 30 micromoles of any one or any mixture of 3-butenyl glucosinolate, 4-pentenyl glucosinolate, 2-hydroxy-3 butenyl glucosinolate, and 2-hydroxy- 4-pentenyl glucosinolate per gram of air-dry, oil-free solid."

When your at a rendezvous Jonathan you'll hear the local expert claim this oil was availble in the fur trade. They are so full of themselves and have never researched anything, same goes when they talk about rendezvous. For years we would try and correct their mis-statements which they didn't listen to. I even would take research books to these events to show these turds of missing the correctness of the subject - waste of our time. You can usually spot them by their mixed match clothing from different periods (many look new from one year to the next, like "Timber Jack Joe" James Bama's creation.

Many of the AMM would do the same as me and finally with drew from trying to help those that have never cracked a book. When someone trys to talk about how you treat your iron ware you can give them the correct information.
  1. Scrub skillet well in hot soapy water.
  2. Dry thoroughly.
  3. Spread a thin layer of melted shortening or vegetable oil over the skillet.
  4. Place it upside down on a middle oven rack at 375°. (Place foil on a lower rack to catch drips.)
  5. Bake 1 hour; let cool in the oven.

Field and Stream magazine had an article done back in the '40s, reprinted every few years.

Seasoning is the black patina that builds up on your cast iron skillet with regular use, a non-stick surface that’s slick enough for eggs to skate across the pan, but tough enough to withstand the blazing heat needed to properly sear a steak. It’s the at-home work you do to turn a cast iron pan into an heirloom, and it’s as important for your cooking as the iron your pan is made from.

There’s a lot of advice on the internet about seasoning and cast iron care, and a lot of misinformation as well, so we want to set the record straight on what you really need to know to season a cast iron skillet correctly.

We’ve spent years obsessing over how to make the best cast iron pan, which means we’ve devoted hundreds of hours to researching and comparing different ways to season it. That’s included testing a wide range of oils, heat ranges, and techniques while consulting chemists, machinists, and cast iron lovers around the country.

When subjected to high heat, long chains of fat molecules break down into short-chain polymers that bond with naturally produced carbon and bare iron, forming a kind of glaze. This is seasoning, and it has smooth, non-stick properties similar to Teflon. It also forms a natural barrier between the air and the naked iron in your pan, acting as the first line of defense against rust. Most wild animal fats work (don't use processed meat because of the additives - salt).

time.moves.jpg

Last edited:
:cheers:... I don't have an answer to your question. I was taught to do like the instructions state by an old Amish guy when I was probably in my young teens. I would think that being upside down that let the Canola Oil or animal fat drain and not puddle if done upright. Saves trying to get the extra material out of the kettle? :rolleyes:
I know I'm an old bastard and I'm enjoying just that Jonthan, ask you dad he's just about there too.. ... :coffee:

time.moves.jpg

:cheers:... I don't have an answer to your question. I was taught to do like the instructions state by an old Amish guy when I was probably in my young teens. I would think that being upside down that let the Canola Oil or animal fat drain and not puddle if done upright. Saves trying to get the extra material out of the kettle? :rolleyes:
I know I'm an old bastard and I'm enjoying just that Jonthan, ask you dad he's just about there too.. ... :coffee:

Thanks Buck...just about there is right :thumbs up: :coffee:

Back