First time out was a no go

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heiner39

Reaction score
I've had my new Omega for a little over a week and I've been dying to get it out to the range and shoot it. Today was my day....or so I thought. I get out to the range after bore sighting my Bushnell Legend only to find that the range is closed for three days and today was day 1.

It's killing me not being able to get out and shoot it. I've yet to shoot a ML and can't wait. I plan on trying some T7 pellets and 250 grain Hornady SST bullets when I finally get there.

Being a total newbie to the ML world...how many shots do most guys go before cleaning?

Bummer !!!!

Can't you find a area out in the country to shoot ?? Any Public land near buy ??

I'd have to drive a ways and still wouldn't be certain on where to go. The area surrounding the city is growing like crazy and there are new developments going up everywhere.

Nothing worse than sitting and staring at this fancy new gun that's just dying to be shot :cry:

My arms are getting tired from picking up and shouldering my Omega...sure wish I could shoot it :(

Unfortunately I have to wait until next week. Heading up to the cabin this weekend for some fishing and hanging out in the sun!!! Ahhh it's a tough life ;)

bummer dude

I know how you feel.I'd shoot everyday if i could. About cleaning, swab out with wet/dry patches between every shot for best results and easier post range cleanup. It may sound like a pain, but it really isn't and when hunting , the time it takes to swab gives you a chance to calm down and replay the shot in your mind. Best of luck!

Re: bummer dude

Confederate rifleman said:
I know how you feel.I'd shoot everyday if i could. About cleaning, swab out with wet/dry patches between every shot for best results and easier post range cleanup. It may sound like a pain, but it really isn't and when hunting , the time it takes to swab gives you a chance to calm down and replay the shot in your mind. Best of luck!

100% right.. the secret to ACCURACY in MUZZLELOADING is a clean dry barrel for every shot ..also let the barrel cool down , no use shooting one after anouther and getting a lot of FLYERS ..

frontier gander said:
Whats wrong with shooting it while you're at the cabin?

I wish I had a place to shoot it up at the cabin. Unfortunately the cabin is in the norther forest region and there aren't a lot of good places to shoot being that the trees are very dense and there are a lot of cabins up there.

Oh well....I'll suck it up and enjoy a weekend of fishing and wobbly pops.

You'll love that Omega. Mine is accurate with just about anything I feed it. The most accurate has been 300 Hornady XTP's in HPH-12 sabots powered by 80 grains of Triple 7. That load shoots clover leaf at 100 yards. The worst it shot was with 300 grain Hornady .458's in MMP orange sabots. They shot about just over 2" at 100 yards, which ain't bad either!

heiner39 said:
Being a total newbie to the ML world...how many shots do most guys go before cleaning?

With 777 I wipe with a barely damp patch after each shot to get out the "crud ring" of fouling that is enough to hinder reloading the next shot in my Omega. A spray bottle of windshield washer fluid works well for this. Wiping between shots should allow you to shoot indefinitely--I fire up to 30 shots when I go to the range and then do a thorough cleaning at home.

Have fun with the Omega--I have two and have been shooting them for over 6 years now, I think. They're the best of the inlines IMO.

Sometimes after each shot, sometimes every 2 shots, hell with my flintlock, i didnt wipe until after shot 19 and i only cleaned the bore because i was done shooting :lol:

Back