Screw Threads sizes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Cooper

Reaction score
My long term memory for this is bad. What are the threads on ramrod ends like T/C, Traditions, CVA? 8/32 or 10/32. Seems like one black powder and the other is "Hoppe's" centerfire rods?

A lot of the rods have 8/32 on one end, and 10/32 on the other. If you have one with the smaller thread and need the larger thread, you can run a tap through it very easy in a couple minutes.

My factory TC ram rod came with 8-32 on one end and I believe it is 10-24 (not 10-32) on the other end.
I don't care for having to have accessories that have different threads, so I just built a different ram rod that is 10-24 on both ends and all my attachments are ordered with those threads. If you make a new ram rod be absolutely sure to pin the ends.
I also have an older CVA Mountain Rifle, one of the "made in the USA" older ones, and it also came with 8-32 on one end and 10-24 on the other.

My factory TC ram rod came with 8-32 on one end and I believe it is 10-24 (not 10-32) on the other end.
I don't care for having to have accessories that have different threads, so I just built a different ram rod that is 10-24 on both ends and all my attachments are ordered with those threads. If you make a new ram rod be absolutely sure to pin the ends.
I also have an older CVA Mountain Rifle, one of the "made in the USA" older ones, and it also came with 8-32 on one end and 10-24 on the other.
You might want to check the threads again. I believe they are 8X32 on one end and 10X32 on the other. 10X24 is an odd thread size for ram rod tips and accessories.

It could be 10-32 rather than 10-24, don't know why I remembered it as 10-24. I have no doubt I'm just remembering it wrong. I just know that I prefer using the bigger size on both ends.

It could be 10-32 rather than 10-24, don't know why I remembered it as 10-24. I have no doubt I'm just remembering it wrong. I just know that I prefer using the bigger size on both ends.
I too prefer the larger sized accessories. If you are going to but ram rod jags, ball pullers, patch pullers etc. just try to buy the ones with steel threaded studs and not the brass ones. The brass treaded post can snap off with just very little pressure. TOW sells steel threaded ram rod accessories, and I am sure there are others that sell them also.

I got it, I installed a lot of outlets and light switches in my early work career for an electrical contractor. I believe 10-24 is a common size used for household switches and devices. Bet that's where my 10-24 came from.

I know that my ball puller and jag both have steel threads, I'd have to look at my patch worm. I've never lost a patch off the jag yet, even after turning the jag down some.

I bought a TC bore mop and brush. Didn't pay attention ran the bore brush down and stuck, tried to remove it and broke off. Friggin aluminum not brass or steel. Be sure to make sure. I "assumed" TC/S&W wouldn't do something stupid. Well they did the cheap money maker thing. I still cant get it out looks like no way without removing the breach.

I bought a TC bore mop and brush. Didn't pay attention ran the bore brush down and stuck, tried to remove it and broke off. Friggin aluminum not brass or steel. Be sure to make sure. I "assumed" TC/S&W wouldn't do something stupid. Well they did the cheap money maker thing. I still cant get it out looks like no way without removing the breach.
One of the best methods to remove a stuck brush is to get a bore sized hollow brass tube long enough to reach the breech plug on your rifle. Put the tube in the bore, and gently tap it over the brush using a wood mallet. Once the tube is completely over the brush, the tube should be easily extracted with the brush stuck inside of it.

The easiest way I have ever found to remove a brush from the barrel is just run another smaller brush to the bottom, and it will grip the larger one and bring it out with it. You could probably get by with a simple .30 ca rifle brush or similar.

Get a tube barely smaller than your bore and use Grimord's method. It is going to do the job the easiest.

Honestly, if you don't have a tube handy and need to get that brush out so you can use the gun, I like Mofish's idea. Quick and easy. Then later order the tube if you prefer that method.

Back