light kicking load/bullet for deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palmer

Reaction score
Hi all,
First time poster here, been muzzleloading for 17 years. I am looking for a light kicking load for my wife, she has a traditions pursuit lt youth that weighs only 6 pounds. She can handle 80gr 2f T7 and a 200gr shockwave OK and the rifle shoots acceptably. I would like a little lighter kick so she can practice more than a couple of shots. Our shots are 75yds or less so she doesn't need a magnum type loading. Does anyone have experience with a 50cal rifle, light bullets, 1 in 28 twist, and low powder loads that will still cleanly take an aveage whitetail?
Thanks,

Palmer

reducing recoil

If you not installed a Simms vibration labs recoil pad on the rifle by all means do so. This is the same pad the Remington calls the r3 and T/C
installs on the pro hunter. The Simms pad comes as a slip on and a cut and fit to the stock. Since over all length is critcal for smaller stature
shooters you may have to cut the stock anyway. Some where between 12.5 inches to 13 1/4 inches suites most women under 5 '8''.

You could also try the Hornady .40 200 gr pistol bullet in the MMP blue sabot which you can order seperately and work up loads from 75 grains plus.

I do believe just try the Simms pad first and I know your wife will feel
consiserably less punch.

Choc-dog

welcome to the forum Palmer. Its really good to have you here.

As for your problem, Triple Se7en has the sharpest recoil IMO of all powders. You could try to change powders to Pyrodex RS and see if that does not calm down the bite a little. You might want to check the accuracy when you change over to a different powder though.

Another thing you can do if you have the time is change projectles to something like a 270 grain Buffalo Ball-et. I always felt they did not kick bad, accuracy was good out of fast twist, and they are deadly to 100 yards. Just a thought.

This is kind of a hard question because the load you named I never felt was that aggresive of a load... Good luck to you and your wife hunting.

Another for the sims pad. Totally takes the hit out of the kick.

You're going in the right direction. A 200gr bullet is the way to go. I'd use a 200gr XTP .40cal in a blue MMP 40/50 sabot. ALSO...70gr fffg Triple Se7en will equal 80gr ffg Triple Se7en in the velocity department. Less powder charge equals less recoil. Go that route... That's really about as low as you can go...

Thanks

Thanks guys, I will look into the Sims pad. I have some 245gr ball-ets and shot one through the rifle, I just could not tell any difference in the kick myself, but I'm pretty recoil resistant.
thanks again,
Palmer

I agree with Choc and 6x6, try the .40cal 200grXTP in the MMP blue sabot. IMO the 200gr shockwave will need more velocity to expand properly than what you can get with an 80gr charge.

Whitesmoke

i agree w/ cayuga, 777 does produce sharper recoil than i have noticed with blackpowder or pyrodex. a light-recoiling load for <100 yds would be 90 g. pyrodex RS and a 240 g. .44 caliber bullet in the green mmp sabot (or 250 g. .45 caliber bullet in the black sabot. might also try a 200 g. .40 caliber in a blue sabot). back when i had my t/c thunderhawk (a rifle that weighed about 6 lbs w/ a 21" barrel and synthetic stock), i used 90 g. pyrodex RS and a 210 g. .44 caliber sierra hollowpoint in a t/c break-o-way sabot. with the open sights that came on the rifle, this load was a tack-driver at 50 yds. fired over a chronograph, the load averaged about 1650 fps at the muzzle. it was very pleasant to shoot. i killed an 8-point 150 lb. deer with this rifle and load at about 25-30 yds, and had a complete pass-thru at that range.

that load is similar to a .44 magnum fired thru a carbine-length barrel, so it will be plenty adequate for deer out to 100 yards. not sure if i would want to go much less, though . . . .

When my wife was shooting trap she used a gel pac that fit inside a shooters vest. Those gel pacs are sold at shooting supply stores. She also made a pocket in her hunting coart for it.

:D Al

One thing to remember when comparing propellants...they are NOT the same! 80gr of one will NOT equal the velocity of another. It IS true that loose Pyrodex recoils less than an equal charge of Triple Se7en...the REASON is that Triple Se7en produces more velocity for the same charge... example..out of my Black Diamond .50 110gr Pyrodex Select gives 1599fps while only 100gr ffg Triple Se7en gives 1800fps. Did the Triple Se7en recoil more...SURE...but also gave lots more velocity.

Drop your charge down to 70 gr of T7 ffg. I shoot this load for target out of an Encore which is not a recoil friendly rifle and i use a soft hold, not holding the gun down at the forestock at all and the recoil is very minimal. I also dropped a doe in her tracks at 110 yds with this load.

Load found

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies. After a couple of range sessions and a new scope I've found a light kicking, accurate load for my wife. I settled on 70gr 777 3f w/200gr XTP .44 in harvester sabot. Shoots very well and not much kick. I picked 3f because I have 1.5 pounds already and was nearly out of 2f. I'll post back with deer results.
Thanks,
Palmer

Hi Palmer:
In the summer, or when I play with hotter loads, I use a PAST recoil vest. It really helps cut down on the abuse my shoulder takes. It also helps me to not anticipate the recoil and focus more on the shot.
FYI: We here like pics with any deer reports (hint, hint). :wink:

A real nice bullet is the 195 grain Barnes Expander in the blue MMP sabot. I found them to drop deer quick.

Latest posts

Back