Scope or walnut?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperKirby1

Reaction score
I ordered my Redemption as a camo composite stock figuring the difference would buy me a decent scope. I've been eying a Redfield Revenge. I have a Cabelas Powderhorn 3-10 scope that I picked up when Cabelas had them on sale last spring and it's yet to be mounted to a gun.
So, do I spend the difference on a decent scope or should I change my order to the walnut stock? If I wait on the scope it will probably be next year before I can afford to buy a better scope.

That is normally a desicion you have to make for yourself ......i for one will get the walnut stock and use the scope i've got even if it's not that fancy ;)

I would get the walnut stock and use the scope you have since you cant hunt with a scope anyway. I usualy like camo stocks but the walnut stock looks much better on this style muzz.

Personally, I would invest my money in a quality scope. The rest of the gun doesn't matter if what you put on top of it is less than trustworthy. The Redemption is a solid looking rig deserving of a top notch scope. But I wouldn't settle for synthetic if I wanted wood. Setting it up right the first time saves money in the long run.

Check out the Trophy 250DOA's Carlos uses. He seems to have good luck with them and the price is modest.

I just picked up a Revenge 3-9X42 Accurange hunter at Dunhams. They were on sale & my 15% off coupon still counted. Out the door for $171 & some change. I've been very happy with my Revolutions, but wanted to try a Revenge. Now I just have to get to the range.

I changed my order to the walnut stock. I really want to put a good scope on it, but as was said, setting it up right the first time is better. I think I would have regretted it in a couple months when I really wanted the wood. If I was allowed to hunt with a scope I think the decision would have been different.

Check out the post in the Optic section I made on the Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 DOA 250 for $179 at Natchezss. This scope originally sold for over $450.

I was looking at the Redfields earlier but the lenses are not fully multicoated which kind of put me off at that price point.

Super K, I believe you did the right thing. Now, take your time and find the scope that makes your Redemption everything you want it to be. Hopefully you can post some pics of your gun. I think the Redemption is pretty tough looking. I'm sure it will be an awesome gun.

Tony said:
Super K, I believe you did the right thing. Now, take your time and find the scope that makes your Redemption everything you want it to be. Hopefully you can post some pics of your gun. I think the Redemption is pretty tough looking. I'm sure it will be an awesome gun.
Thanks. I'll post a whole bunch of pictures and tell you all about it when I get it.

yep, you did the right thing. You will be a hell of a lot more happier with that wood grain.

lilcrazy2 said:
Check out the post in the Optic section I made on the Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 DOA 250 for $179 at Natchezss. This scope originally sold for over $450.

I was looking at the Redfields earlier but the lenses are not fully multicoated which kind of put me off at that price point.

The Revolution uses Redfields Illuminator system with vapor dispertion & are very clear, & the Revenge uses FULLY MULTI COATED lenses. I owned an Elite 3200 & it was a great scope, but my Redfield's are clearer & have less shading from side to side movement.

SuperKirby said:
So, do I spend the difference on a decent scope or should I change my order to the walnut stock? .
You already have a decent scope. I did a clarity test at dusk the other day. I compared a Nikon Omega, Bushnell Elite 3200 and the Powderhorn. I have all three mounted on various guns.

I would have to say the Powderhorn won the clarity contest out of my basement window.

If you can't hunt with a scope, your money is better spent on something else like a nice ground blind and heater for the MN hunting season.

I hunted with the cabelas powderhorn this year on my optima elite hunted in rain, snow and everything in between and shot three deer with it shots were from under 10 yards to a little past 100 yards and from full day light to right at last light. I have nothing but good to say about the scope it might not be quite as nice as the leupolds I have on my center fires but it's a nice scope and I don't feel I'm shorting my self anything by using this scope. The powderhorn has also held its zero very well since I first sighted it in. Plus the scope came with a Lifetime waranty from Cabelas.

Thanks for letting me know. I thought it looked pretty good in the store, but then I was looking at it a month or so ago and I thought it didn't look as good as I remembered, but then it was kind dark at the time anyway. Point is, I think it be ok and I'll be a lot happier with the wood.

SuperKirby said:
I changed my order to the walnut stock. I really want to put a good scope on it, but as was said, setting it up right the first time is better. I think I would have regretted it in a couple months when I really wanted the wood. If I was allowed to hunt with a scope I think the decision would have been different.
Wooden stock on a MLer...nice! ;)

------------------------------------------------------
p.s. Now all we need are a few range reports on that smoke gun. :)

Latest posts

Back