Shot the Accura

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Took the Accura out today at 20 yards, 50 and 100 yards with 110gr pyro RS and the 247gr Thor. Freakin awesome! I just may keep Thor as my #1 bullet. My Accura took the .500" thor perfectly, its firm,but not where its loose enough to fall out of the bore of move off the charge. My worse group today @ 100 yards was 3" and thats because i screwed up shot #3. The previous 2 shots were touching. I sighted in dead on @ 100 and after going back inside and fiddling around with scope mounts and positions, i had more than enough room to screw the scope down and leave my sights just right where i need them. This will be great for the colorado/new mexico hunt.

Im going to sight in the scope tomorrow and see just how well these Thors do when i have the optics on.

I had just a little crud ring with Winchester W209 primers but i could get through them. A palm saver would help so i will make some tomorrow that slips over the ramrod.

Winchester 777 primers did help a bit but the fouling they leave in the action just isnt worth it IMO.

Im also going to try using Teflon tape on the BP just to see what happens. Last time i used teflon tape was on my old X-150 i had.

Really darn good day today with the Accura!

I'll take some pics today. I was working with On & Off rain today so i left the cam inside.

Best group today was 1" with my last 2 shots touching.

Installed the Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 on the Accura today and sighted in with 90gr pyrodex RS and the 250gr Harvester Sabertooth bullets. I wanted to save the thors as i only have 19 left out of 82 :shock:

The sabertooths and Thors shoot the same POI so thats a great thing.

My first 3 shots with the Thors at 100 yards ( 110gr RS/ W209 Primer) I allowed a 4 minute cool down bewteen shots, and shot a Quarter size hole. Shots #2 and #3 are basically in the same hole, but as you can see from shot #1 the difference in the size of the hole.

Im impressed! When my brother in law and i go for his new mexico deer/elk hunt we will be sighting in with the 250gr Ballistic Tip Thor. He has a deer hunt in Sept - 4 days after my hunt ends in colorado ( Be nice and tired for his hunt) . He also has a cow elk hunt in mid/late December.

Im all finished shooting the Accura until hunting season is here! My open sights were adjusted in a way so i could mount the scope without removing them and having to resight in.

Accura-thor-scoped100010.jpg

Accura-thor-scoped100003.jpg

Accura-thor-scoped100004.jpg

Accura-thor-scoped100005.jpg

Now the 2 shots in the black were my final 2 shots, i didnt allow any time to cool down. Just shot and reloaded as fast as possible. Also note the taped up hole above the 3 shot group. That is were the 250gr Sabertooth conicals impact with 90gr RS.
Accura-thor-scoped100011.jpg

Accura-thor-scoped100012.jpg

I used teflon tape on the breech plug so i will see how that comes out compared to when i use Lubriplate motor assy. Grease.

W209 primers as always were super clean.

FG I just bought an Accura a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if that Bergara barrel makes the difference in accuracy. I haven't shot mine yet. I put a Leupold on it last nite :)

RJ98 said:
FG I just bought an Accura a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if that Bergara barrel makes the difference in accuracy. I haven't shot mine yet. I put a Leupold on it last nite :)

Bergara barrels are the best thing that ever happened to CVA. I doubt you will disappointed. 8)

RJ98 said:

I've only owned one Bergara barrel and its been amazingly accurate for the time ive had it. Today with a brand new bullet and a quarter size group is pretty amazing i thought. First time out with the rifle and those bullets.

:D :D :D
Can't say enough about my 2 ACCURA'S :!: :!: :!: Both were no problem to sight. Now that I found the combo that my rifles like, I shoot and really enjoy it more. Before I switched I had allot of problems. Couldn't get that second powerbelt seated without a struggle. Had to allmost clean the rifle after every shot. I went from 100 gr PYRODEX pellets and Remington STS primers to AMERICAN PIONEER POWDER GOLD with Remington Kleanbore primers and got rid of that burn/crud ring. Now all I do is shoot :!: :!: Cleaning isn't a big job any longer anymore :!: :!:
Had a little trouble with one but CVA replaced the barrel with a brand new one full of grease. Glad your enjoying your accura.
Have a great season and a safe one :!: :!:

I've told a few buddies that I just bought a CVA and the first thing they say is, "Well if I ever get a muzzleloader it'll be a T/C." For one thing I would never sh!t talk another man's gun, b/c it may be all he can afford. As far as fishing/hunting, I think all should be able to enjoy without stereotypes.

Secondly, some people are so caught up with the T/C name that they probably haven't looked at other alternatives. Two of my buddies didn't even know what CVA was. The Accura may be just as good (or better?) for a better price. Either way, whatever floats your boat. :wink:

Accura is better IMO than what tc offers on the triump. 2lb trigger " or less!" on the accura, real stainless steel barrel, excellent quality barrel, open sights that you can actually use, solid stock.

Dont have to worry about weathershield pealing off the Accuras barrel because it doesnt use paint.

ss/black thumbhole for under $400 imo is hard to beat.

That stock trigger amazes me. It is really light. Nice looking gun FG.

:D :D :D

Amen brother :!: :!: Wouldn't trade my ACCURA'S for anything :!: :!:

I hope everyone has a great season and fill all their tags. Gents remember, safety first :!: :!: We all want to be around here for many seasons to come :!:

no i have not. I didnt like them when i tried them in the omega. The copper was put on pretty poorly and just didnt look worth the money. They run $20 here, same price as thors.

I wouldn't doubt that the Barnes bullet might be better constructed than the FPB, but as they say: "the proof is in the puddin".

I have had great luck with the FPBs both in accuracy and in terminal performance (did great on an elk). I have shot them so far in my Omega, Knight LRH, and Knight KRB7. They shoot well in all three using either 777 or BH 209.

As far as price, in local shops they might not be that cheap, but online the FPB is MUCH cheaper. And of course so far, the only way to buy the Thors is online.

Basspro has the FPB's for $16 each compared to $23 per pkg for the thors. That all copper construction certainly will cost more. I have shot 12 packs sor far this summer, so I saved $84 (comparing online price). However, I saved even more since I got 8 pkgs from Walmart on clearance last winter for $8 per pkg.

I did try a couple of packs of thors, and was favorably impressed with the accuracy, and if money were not a concern, I might give the nod to the Thors, but for now I feel really good sticking with the FPBs. And, I also like the idea of using 100 gr more lead (350 vs. 247) on an elk. That said, with the penetration that FG has been getting with them, I wouldn't hesitate to use the thors on an elk.

Gander,
Something you might want to look at : the gripper the archers use to pull arrows is easy on the hand and easy to carry but gives an excellent grip and a bit of leverage on the ramrod. The other thing that works well is to stop at the craft store and pick up a hard wood ball a bit bigger than a golf ball and drill a hole to fit the ram rod half way through it. I keep them handy when I am shooting with out my range rod. Lee

rod handle

I use a golf ball, because i can't hit the darn thing and might as well get some use from it. :p

I'm hoping to have some FPB / Elk data to share at the end of Sept. I may try the Thor after hunting season to see how they shoot out of my Omega. I like all copper bullets, especially the Barnes. Their expansion is simply awesome.

Latest posts

Back